LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

checking bearings

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 02:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default checking bearings

I have a new to me but unknown mileage 96 lt1 and i am planning on checking the bearings as well as installing a bunch of new parts.

what i need to know is how to check the bearings, do i just unbolt the main caps and check the bearings then reinstall and re torque? what is the torque required for the main caps

and with the rod bearings, I will do those after the mains and just manually turn the motor over and do the same things as with the mains, correct?

should i use assembly lube? motor has sat for 6+ weeks
Old 02-21-2011, 03:08 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jester1614
I have a new to me but unknown mileage 96 lt1 and i am planning on checking the bearings as well as installing a bunch of new parts.

what i need to know is how to check the bearings, do i just unbolt the main caps and check the bearings then reinstall and re torque? what is the torque required for the main caps

and with the rod bearings, I will do those after the mains and just manually turn the motor over and do the same things as with the mains, correct?

should i use assembly lube? motor has sat for 6+ weeks
not sure if its in your budget but if your pulling it apart why not just replace the rod and main bearings if you're already in there??? pretty cheap for stock replacement bearings........IIRC the main cap torque is 65ft/lbs but u may want to check that out.......also i would use assembly lube putting it back together
Old 02-21-2011, 03:25 PM
TECH Resident

what scares me is that i dont have the proper tools to check bearing tolerances, and those tools are definately out of my budget even though i would love to have them, I know that you can used plasticgauge but i know that isnt asaccurate as the proper tools.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:31 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jester1614
what scares me is that i dont have the proper tools to check bearing tolerances, and those tools are definately out of my budget even though i would love to have them, I know that you can used plasticgauge but i know that isnt asaccurate as the proper tools.
yea you could do that......i mean in theory if you run standards in it again it should be fine your not changing any clearances by cutting or polishing the crank/rods........id plasti gauge them just for insurance but i dont see an issue putting bearings in it...
Old 02-21-2011, 04:12 PM
TECH Resident

does the rear main seal need to be removed to take out the rear main cap? i have both bolts out but it doesnt want to pop loose