Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference in 4L60E TRANS

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Difference in 4L60E TRANS

OK !!! I bought this 1996 Z/28 and it was showing a B Solenoid Fault.....
So i thought i would just do a rebuild on the transmission and beef it up some ....BUT I just found out the transmission is a 93-94 4L60E in a 1996....

So my question is there a program issue here since 93-94 was O.B.D.1 AND THE 96 IS A O.B.D.2 ? I'm going to get the OBD 2 computer either re-programed or just do a OBD 1 change over...

WHICH WILL BE THE BEST THE PWM 4L60E OR THE NON-PWM 4L60E FOR A HIGH PERFORMANCE REBUILD....... any one have any opinions?????

Last edited by Bullit95T/A; 02-26-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:02 AM

I would look to see if the trans has PWM casted on the pump. If so you you at least have the right pump. In 96 the internal harness was changed, separator plate, valve body, the added pwm solenoid for the LU and also the pump. You can get all of these parts out of any transmission 96 and later transmission and it will work just fine with your computer. I personally think it would be easier to do this than to worry about swapping computers and the wiring involved. The problem here is the trans not the vehicle! Fix the problem and move one. The pwm is just fine for a performance application and most shift kits address any issues with it. HTH Vince
Old 02-28-2011, 09:16 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Vince B
I would look to see if the trans has PWM casted on the pump. If so you you at least have the right pump. In 96 the internal harness was changed, separator plate, valve body, the added pwm solenoid for the LU and also the pump. You can get all of these parts out of any transmission 96 and later transmission and it will work just fine with your computer. I personally think it would be easier to do this than to worry about swapping computers and the wiring involved. The problem here is the trans not the vehicle! Fix the problem and move one. The pwm is just fine for a performance application and most shift kits address any issues with it. HTH Vince

OK thanks for the info...

I have one more question what are the best hydraulic mods for this transmission?
I want this 4l60e to live with at least 450 crank horsepower. I have all the good hard parts...SS Monster in a box plus some sonnax parts for the valve body and a Trans Go separator plate ......
Old 03-01-2011, 06:02 AM

If you got a shift kit you should have most of them addressed. I like to inspect the abuse plugs in the valve body(sonnax part) and also update to the 2-3 hd shift valve from sonnax. I would also update the accumulator pistons to new aluminum ones. Another thing to do is get viton servo D rings for seals for the 2nd and 4th gear servos. These are made by transtech and I have also seen them from Parker. With doing this most of the issues should be sorted out. Vince
Old 03-01-2011, 11:13 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Vince B
If you got a shift kit you should have most of them addressed. I like to inspect the abuse plugs in the valve body(sonnax part) and also update to the 2-3 hd shift valve from sonnax. I would also update the accumulator pistons to new aluminum ones. Another thing to do is get viton servo D rings for seals for the 2nd and 4th gear servos. These are made by transtech and I have also seen them from Parker. With doing this most of the issues should be sorted out. Vince
OK !!!! thanks i'm installing all pin-less accumulators in all locations and the viton servo D rings I didn't know about those i will get those tomorrow and the 2-3 i already have ....THANKS FOR THE INFO VINCE....

Quick Reply: Difference in 4L60E TRANS