Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Need some help with some heads issues*********

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 12:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help with some heads issues*********

I'm old school and been out of the game for a while, i am kinda new to the LS motors so please bare with me.
I have a 04 GTO with the LS1 with 241 heads. I have a set of LS2 243 heads shaved 0.20 off. i was told to go with a MLS trick flow 0.45 head gaskets and that would bump it up to 11.1. stock cam with that being said. Will i have any valve clearance issues??
And if so how do i tell?? (Before i start the car)
I know how some of you think yeah go on and start the car like a dumb a$$ and you tell me.
LOL just kidding.

Last edited by wraith221304; 03-06-2011 at 12:42 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

You will not have any valve clearance issues.

Re'
Old 03-14-2011, 07:20 AM
Teching In

I agree with RE AND CHERYL. but here is a how to if you want to be sure.

With the camshaft installed, remove the cylinder head from the block. Clean the combustion chamber and the top of the piston and valve reliefs. The cleaner the piston, the better the clay will stick to it.

Apply a strip of model clay 3/8” to ½” wide approximately ¼” thick to the pistons. The clay strip should be long enough to run across both the intake and exhaust valve reliefs. Applying a small amount of oil to the clay will prevent it from sticking to the valves as they press into it.

Reinstall the cylinder head with the head gasket that is going to be used. It will not be necessary to torque the head yet. All head gasket manufacturers can tell you what the compressed thickness of their gasket will be. Measure the gasket before you install it permanently and add the difference to the piston to valve clearance. Install a sufficient number of head bolts to secure the head in place while you are rotating the engine. Install the pushrods, lifters and rocker arms on the cylinder you have prepared for the clearance check.

Adjust the rocker arms to their suggested clearance. If the camshaft you are checking uses hydraulic lifters, you must temporarily use solid lifters in their place. Hydraulic lifters bleed down and will provide a false measurement. Once the hydraulic lifters are replaced with solid lifters, adjust the lash to “zero.” Be sure not to pre-load the valve spring. Be sure to reinstall the hydraulic lifters before starting the engine.

Now turn the engine over by hand in the normal direction of rotation. Be sure to rotate the engine over two times. This will be one complete revolution of the camshaft and assure you of an accurate reading on both the intake and exhaust. Remove the cylinder head from the block. Do this gently, so the clay is not disturbed. It may be stuck to the valves or combustion chamber, so be careful.

With a razor or sharp knife, slice the clay cleanly -lengthwise through the depression, and peel half of it off the piston. The clay’s thickness in the thinnest area will represent the minimum piston to valve clearance.

To accurately check the thickness, use a set of dial calipers. The clay can also be measured close enough with a thin steel rule.

Quick Reply: Need some help with some heads issues*********