Sponsored by:

rev problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 12:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

Default rev problems

i saw this on the Yellow Bullet-interesting
Just though I would pass this along.Several units I built and in car tested here at the shop lost reverse in out test car.1made it to Australia and has lost reverse.We have absolutely identified the problem as defective band lining.After several applications at max line pressure the lining compresses and you lose reverse.I took units apart and measured band lining compression and this was the real cause.I spoke to our supplier and he sent me another 30 or so bands after explaining a problem with the acetone and or curing process being responsible.After losing reverse in a th400 I will discontinue using them TOTALLY and will just be using New borg warner bands that aere @ 3x the cost but well worth the money.Not here to bash the guy but just a word of advise,if you arent reusing the old ones(I dont because I like to resurface the reaction carrier and use a new smooth band)be sure to use a band from a well known supplier such as borg.Dont roll the dice.I am not interested in naming the company or starting a fire just letting you know that something as simple as a rear band in a 400 or 4l80 can be the source of some real aggravation on a Sunday afternoon.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:57 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

I put a green Borg Warner band in my truck 6 years ago. It's lost reverse four times in 6 years. Every time I just made the servo pin longer. The reaction carrier has always been smooth.

I read somewhere about the old th400 bands being a thicker material while the 4L80E band being thinner and having a more consistant thickness and being more resistant to compressing. Maybe this is why I've had so many problems with it.