Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Stock fuel pump mod?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 08:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock fuel pump mod?

Hello gents...
Im in, what seems to be, a unique situation. My build required me to build my own tank, to fit in a really tight location. Ideally, I would like to run the stock in tank pump, but the location I would NEED to put it at would require its location to be at the FRONT of the tank which would NOT work for consistent fuel supply to the motor (01' 5.3 L vortec).
My question is, is there a way to REMOVE the stock intake filter/ sock and extend it down IN TO a sump at the rear of the tank???
Im looking to AVOID using an in line pump set up, IF I CAN and Im looking at ALL OPTIONS (within reason). If there were a way to extend that pick up to the rear of the tank and drop it into a sump, this would seemigly solve all the issues, in theory.
BTW. This is for a rock crawler, so it WILL see extreme angles and hence the concern for a rear pick up for the fuel.

Thanks in advance for any info!

Keith

Here are a few pics for reference..
First is its location under the rig. I did a "test" flex just to see how close the anti wrap bar is to hitting the tank. As you can see, I DO still have about 4 in. and Im planning on limiting the up travel with bump stops for the "just in case" safety factor.
second and third pics are of a cut out in the floor pan to maximize clearance. Ideally, I would put the pump somewhere up here and build in an access panel to easily get to the pump, however, this is where the problem is.
Attached Thumbnails Stock fuel pump mod?-013.jpg   Stock fuel pump mod?-009.jpg   Stock fuel pump mod?-010.jpg  
Old 03-08-2011, 08:54 AM
Teching In

It seems that with the stock pump I would need about 1.5 in of space to adequately clear the fittings and electric plugs. I COULD drop the tank level DOWN in the rear if I ABSOLUTELY had to, but Id be sacrificing MORE clearance.
See where this gets a little complicated?
Old 03-08-2011, 08:56 AM
Teching In

BTW...I think I put this in the WRONG section, so mods feel free to move it. I didnt realize this was the GEN. IV and mine is a gen III.

Sorry.

Damn noobs!

Quick Reply: Stock fuel pump mod?