General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Uneven tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 02:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Uneven tire wear

My two front tires are bald on the outer sides only but the rest of the tire is good and look new and its making me think my alignment is off. But there is also a very very small bit of play in the steering wheel. Should I consider a whole front end rebuild or will an alignment be likley to solve this?
Old 03-08-2011, 03:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as play.....

There are a couple of things you can do for free. Jack the car up and wiggle the wheel from top to bottom and side to side to check your wheel bearings and tie rods/ball joints.

Play can also be caused by the rack being worn. Also check the pass side mount because it is held on by a small spot weld and I have broken it before.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:13 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

This is common with the factory setup. My car has done this since it came from the factory. To combat it in the past, I have dismounted the tires and switched sides so I can rotate the directional tires.

I understand that this practice is not recommended. It easier for me to get away with it because I live in the city and have to have my tires dismounted for patching so often.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Asian LSX
My two front tires are bald on the outer sides only but the rest of the tire is good and look new and its making me think my alignment is off. But there is also a very very small bit of play in the steering wheel. Should I consider a whole front end rebuild or will an alignment be likley to solve this?
I had uneven tire wear as well. I replaced the hubs and had my car aligned no problems since.

However, I recently replaced my rack, rod ends and bushings. Because the old rack blew 2 seals. My handling has improved 10 fold.

So if you have the funds and your car is higher mileage I say rebuild the whole thing. It cost me around 700 bucks in parts. I'd only replace the rack if its leaking or worn out.

350 for the rack
100 for left hub
100 for right hub
40 bucks for bushings
50 left rod end
50 right rod end

of course that doesn't include ball joints... mine were fine.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:42 PM
On The Tree

I also noticed in your sig that you don't have a sway bar. I don't know if that has much affect on your tire wear, but it affects yours steering and handling...
Old 03-09-2011, 09:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

check bushings also
Old 03-11-2011, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like your toe-in toe-out is off. or bad ball joints, id take it to a alignment shop have them do the works on it. prolly cost a 100 but you shouldny have any problems after that. if you have bad ball joints its gets more expensive.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by parks450
sounds like your toe-in toe-out is off. or bad ball joints, id take it to a alignment shop have them do the works on it. prolly cost a 100 but you shouldny have any problems after that. if you have bad ball joints its gets more expensive.

I agree, sounds like a toe issue. Good Alignment Shop would be my first step.

Tire Pressure could cause this as well. What are your Tires rated at on Max Pressure and what are you running them at ?

I try to keep my Tires at 40 PSI all the way @ and check them pretty frequent. Just a thought.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:43 PM
12 Second Club

Checked tire pressure and its good. I'm really hoping its alignment but if its possibly ball joints or something else oh well, back to peanut butter and jelly sandwiches again.

If I can get the car in the shop this week we'll see what happens.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:26 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Asian LSX
Checked tire pressure and its good. I'm really hoping its alignment but if its possibly ball joints or something else oh well, back to peanut butter and jelly sandwiches again.

If I can get the car in the shop this week we'll see what happens.
The stock alignment does this. Its normal and is dealt with by rotating your tires, just like on any other car.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

also make sure you're not taking turns too fast

Quick Reply: Uneven tire wear