Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pre LS1 swap preparations

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 08:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Pre LS1 swap preparations

I'm getting ready to buy an ls1/t56 combo to put in my 67 Chevelle (probably a pullout from eBay or CL). I want it to have decent power, but above all else be a reliable driver I can take anywhere and have fun with - and I don't want to break the bank. My question is what should be done to the engine before I drop it in? I'm planning on taking it to a local shop to make sure the engine is running fine. Any reoccurring problems I should be aware of that are common with ls engines? Should I plan on doing a full rebuild?
Old 03-09-2011, 10:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I woudn't do anything to it if it has relatively low miles and has been well maintained. If properly cared for I have seen a couple at 300k+ My gen III LM7 has 210k and runs great....
Old 03-09-2011, 11:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
I woudn't do anything to it if it has relatively low miles and has been well maintained. If properly cared for I have seen a couple at 300k+ My gen III LM7 has 210k and runs great....
I agree with this. If it has fairly low miles on it there is no need to do anything to it. You are planning on keeping the motor stock? Or were there performance upgrades you are thinking about? If so there are plenty of easy upgrades you can do while the motor is out and they wont break the bank.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice build idea. We just fired up my brothers 67 swap for the first time about a week ago. He got the drivetrain from me though, so we knew it was a good motor.
For the easiest install stuff, i think he spent about $2500 on stuff other than the motor tranny combo to get the motor in and running.