Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

E85, what filter for stock system??

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 02:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E85, what filter for stock system??

I am going to run E85 with my new engine, I am wondering if anybody can give any info on what I can do to help prolong my stock 98 camaro fuel system??

Thanks
Old 03-10-2011, 07:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

put E85 in it and get it tuned,been running it for 4 years!
Old 03-10-2011, 08:35 AM
Teching In

Stock filter is just fine however after you make the change and run 1-2 tanks of corn through change the filter. E85 wil dislodge any and all foreign materials and crud in your tank and lines. The 96 impala ss tank I put in my car and lines looked beautiful when I changed the pump...slight yellow hue in the tank...month later I had to change the filter because It began losing power...pulled tank because I was curious and sure enough it was clean whilst filter was full of black crud when I cut it open. After that forget about it, just bask in your Eco-friendlyness
Old 03-10-2011, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

thanks guys, do I need to worry about the plastic sock filter on the pump deteriorating???
Old 03-14-2011, 12:51 PM
Teching In

In theory the Ethanol will eventually "eat away" at the pump sock and any other plastic fittings but I have yet to hear of anyone say that E85 ruined their pick-up strainers. I've been running my system which is strainer-->fuel pump-->2" section rubber hose-->steel line through tank-->plastic GM quick connect-->3ft of 1996 GM plastic fuel line-->stock filter-->7ft plastic line to fuel rail and back again with countless tanks of 85 through it and no problems. I think most of the hype about Ethanol rotting the plastics is just that; hype. If it were left sitting in E85 for years then yes it will be brittle but so will any other plastic in a petroleum based liquid given enough time. When switching to E85 change the filter after a few tanks run through the system and forget about it.
Only annoying thing you have to worry about after that is the occasional person trying to tell you cannot use E85 because they do not see a flex badge on your trunk. (Well that's been my pet peeve)
Old 03-14-2011, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info, I live in Indiana the corn belt of the world, I will tell them my car asked for it then show them the pro E85 sticker in the back window>>>