Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

L96 (2010 LY6) VVT cam swap ??s for early GM A-body

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 02:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default L96 (2010 LY6) VVT cam swap ??s for early GM A-body

I have my new L96 motor on the engine stand, and plan on swapping out the cam. I want to keep the VVT, and I don't want to lose any driveability but want to get the torque curve as broad as possible for up to 6500. I will spend little, if ever, time above 6000 rpm, so not so much concerned there, but want huge grin factor in the daily driving I will do.

1. Any cam/spring reccos?
2. I've never changed an LS cam; any good tutorials/online resources to guide me on this? Any special tools required to do this?
3. I will also be upgrading to ARO rod bolts. Can these just be torqued to a set value or must the stretch be measured?
4. Mast instructions ultimately refer you to the service manual, which I don't have. Any online service manual info on cam swaps?

Appreciate your thoughts. TIA
Old 03-16-2011, 05:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Bump for comment--especially on the rod bolts. May want to do this weekend. Thx!
Old 03-16-2011, 09:48 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

No need to change the rod bolts on that engine these things are good to go. Dont confuse them with older LS1's that had rod bolt issues the gen 4 engines ( which is what you have ) are a lot tougher.

As for cam try this one and thank me later

http://www.engpwrsys.com/index.php?a...&productId=115
Old 03-17-2011, 05:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I will be changing rod bolts cuz I want to check a couple of rod bearings for possible damage due to water ingestion. So since they are TTY bolts, I have to replace, and then I was encouraged just to replace all w/ARP rather than a few given that a whole set of ARP bolts is not that expensive (over and above buying a few TTY bolts from the general).

Any thoughts on whether a torque wrench is sufficient or whether I need to get a stretch measurement on the bolt?
Old 03-17-2011, 12:37 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

The rod bolt holes are blind so you cant measure stretch but regardless a torque wrench is fine. ARP bolts are certainly an upgrade anyways. Katech makes some nice ones too.

Quick Reply: L96 (2010 LY6) VVT cam swap ??s for early GM A-body