Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

chassis and handling ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default chassis and handling ?'s

i'm looking into starting to do all the chassis stiffining and trying to make my car handle better , but the thing is i want to do it all at once, that way it's done with. What company do y'all recommend or don't recommend going with or not going with? Oh i also kinda want it all to be the same brand but it doesn't have to be. Thank's ladies and gents.
Old 02-17-2004, 02:24 PM
On The Tree

I have started putting Spohn products on my car, and really like them. I will continue using them until I have all the suspension parts they make for my car. Just their swaybars made a HUGE difference.

I don't race my car, though.

Last edited by Second_Infinity; 02-17-2004 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-17-2004, 03:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I certainly understand your wanting to buy what you need and install it and be done with it.

I'm afraid it just isn't going to work like that.

Lots of people will give you their "opinion" as to what makes a great handling car. Trouble is what handles great for me might be a real pig for you.

The nut behind the wheel is too big of a variable. Especially one that is inexperienced at chassis set up and seat time.

Let me clarify one thing ...

THE ONLY WAY TO PROPERLY SET UP A GOOD HANDLING CAR IS TO REMOVE AS MANY VARIABLES AS POSSIBLE.

That is to say a fixed course under similar weather condition using the same tires and logging lots of data is the way to know if the changes made feel different or feel better. Different does not equal Better and your *** isn't calibrated to tell the 2 apart.

The first step is attend some local driving schools so that you can eliminate or mitigate bad habits. I don't care if you've been driving 20 years on the street or have high scote in GT3 ... you have bad habits. They can only be fixed with a seasoned instructor in the car with you.

Once you can be a consistant driver, then begin tweaking the car, chasing one characteristic at a time.

Why?

Because when you change one thing, it has a domino effect. Many things change and many things are affected. Changing 2 or 3 things at once multiplies the domino affect where some changes may actually cancel each other and you are still at square one.

After a change, analyze your data ... lap times, intermediate times, engine RPM, tire temps, tire pressures ...as much as you can log. Analyze the data and decise what is going on. Then make the change and record more data.

This process is called "sorting out the car". That's why a fully sorted car is very expensive and highly coveted. The owner has already went through multiple sets of tires, track fees, 100s of gallons of gas, expendables ... to get it "sorted".

A vendor will sell you anything you want. But until you talk with a vendor, educate yourself. You would never call up Joe's Auto and tell the guy "I want a powerful motor" and write a check. Same holds true for a "good handling car". Don't get sold a pile of parts because of a name. Go by the vendor's reputation and record on the track.

Hope this hasn't burst your bubble too bad ...
Old 02-17-2004, 04:14 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Spohn makes nice stuff for the price (i'm going with their lca's, pan hard, and torque arm). The best is known to be LG Motorsports supposedly. I'm happy with my BMR subframes though...
Old 02-17-2004, 05:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

For the handling part i would go with Globalwest. They are a little pricy but there stuff is the shizit. I have had not one problem with all of my stuff and i have beaten on it. I have all of their stuff that they offer except for their shocks and springs. I went with HALs on that just b/c i do both Drag, AutoX, and Road Race. The HALs aren't the best for the handling side but they are a good compromise. Hope that helped some.