Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

maintenance question, tires too

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 03:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default maintenance question, tires too

I got 16,500 miles on my formula. Its almost springtime and I've got extra money. I know I need to get the tranny fluid changed (A4), but what else should I do? I do the oil and oil filter myself. Yeah, I know what the book says, but I love my car and I want it to last as long as I do, that's why I'm asking if there's anything else I should do. I've got plugs and wires, just waiting to get up the nerve to do those and throw out those crappy stockers.

Also, I still have the crappy stock tires and they are 4 years old now. Any tire recommendations? I want street tires with good wet and dry traction that will last me another 16k or 4 years (I don't drive her too much). GS-D3's seem popular, but expensive and I wonder how they will last.

thanks in advance!
Old 02-17-2004, 03:57 PM
Staging Lane

You really shouldn't need to change the trans fluid unless the trans was ever overheated in the few miles it's been driven. But if the "4 years" part worries you, it won't hurt to change it. Just make sure it's done at a reputable shop.

Get the rear axle fluid changed if it's never been done.

Read up on tirerack or here for tire opinions. Expect to pay $150/per and up for a good tire. Kuhmo MX, Firestone Firehawk SZ50EP, and the goodyears you mentioned rate well for summer tires.
Old 02-17-2004, 05:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BAD APPLE
You really shouldn't need to change the trans fluid unless the trans was ever overheated in the few miles it's been driven. But if the "4 years" part worries you, it won't hurt to change it. Just make sure it's done at a reputable shop.

Get the rear axle fluid changed if it's never been done.

Read up on tirerack or here for tire opinions. Expect to pay $150/per and up for a good tire. Kuhmo MX, Firestone Firehawk SZ50EP, and the goodyears you mentioned rate well for summer tires.
I agree 100%. Thats what I would do.