Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Need help w/ Vacuum canister on 97 SS????

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 04:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help w/ Vacuum canister on 97 SS????

I need some help with identifying what this thing is. First off the car is a 1997 SS Camaro. This thing appears to be a vacuum canister or something vacuum related because the only line running into it is a small air line that goes into the main wiring harness in front of the battery. This item is located under the front frame rail, right in front of the sway bar mount and right under the coolant reservoir. The installation appears to be non factory because it is held on with sheet metal screws and is not centered on the frame rail, but with the air line running in the factory harness I could be wrong. I was cleaning up some corrosion from a leaky battery and nicked the line with the wire brush wheel. If anyone car tell me what this thing is and how I can splice the line back together I’d greatly appreciate it. If the line can’t be spliced back together can you please point me in the right direction of a replacement line. Thanks you in advance.
Attached Thumbnails Need help w/ Vacuum canister on 97 SS????-posta-237.jpg   Need help w/ Vacuum canister on 97 SS????-posta-238.jpg  
Old 03-20-2011, 06:12 PM
On The Tree

you can splice the line back together with vacuum hose.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:40 AM
Teching In

So, does anyone know what this thing is and what it does?
Old 04-07-2011, 01:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBlockBuck
So, does anyone know what this thing is and what it does?
It is a vacuum canister for reserve vacuum and yes it is in the factory position. It goes into the back of the intake if memory serves me. Just connect it back together with a hose.

Quick Reply: Need help w/ Vacuum canister on 97 SS????