Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Headunit/Speaker system upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 07:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Headunit/Speaker system upgrade questions

Alright guys, I want to upgrade my HU (stock one is missing a bunch of ***** and the lights are out/flickering) as well as my speakers (starting to let go). Now, I don't know if my car has the Monsoon system or not (I'm a sound system n00b) so how do I tell?
What HU would be good? I want to be able to interface it with my iPod.
What speakers would be a nice choice? What sizes do I need?
What conversion harness do I need for an aftermarket deck?
What mount do I need to make an aftermarket HU fit correctly in the huge space where the stocker goes?
Thanks guys, like I said, I'm a ******* n00b at sound in my car. I just wanna be able to hear it over the exhaust
Old 03-25-2011, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone?
Old 03-25-2011, 03:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm a noob myself but you can tell if you have a Monsoon if it says so on the HU, lol. Your door speakers are 6.5" and your sail speakers are also 6.5". I believe the ones in the hatch area are 4". I changed everything in my system except for the HU (I'm about to change that out finally). I had to take my car to a shop to install it as I removed the Monsoon amp and speakers. I replaced mine with Focal speakers (components up front and coaxials in the sails) and got JL Audio amp to power them.

But for choosing speakers, you would have to find a shop and listen for yourself. That is the only way. Everyone's ears are different as far as what sounds they like. The only way you are going to be happy is if you listen for yourself. If anyone tells you otherwise...it's

I myself can change out HUs and speakers. But for changing out an entire system and amps and all that ****, I'm not very knowledgeable so find a competent shop to do it for you or find someone you trust who is knowledgable and see if they can help you out. That's about all the advice I can honestly give.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:58 PM
Teching In

Not all Monsoon systems said so on the HU - your car is a 2000, not sure if that was the case then or not. Did the non-Monsoon cars have any speakers in the sail panels? I don't know for sure but I don't think they did.

I can't speak first hand, but if you have a Monsoon system, check out www.keeaudio.com - he's a sponsor and I've been talking with him a lot, very helpful and has an f-body specific speaker upgrade kit that gets good reviews here.

Head units are going to be all over the place based on what you want to spend and what you want it to do. I'm looking for a new one myself and am having a hard time deciding, but I'm liking the Clarion FZ501 for a number of reasons, despite Clarion not being a "premium" brand.

Install gear is easy, same as any other regular GM with a regular radio. The install kit, harness and antenna adapter will run you $30 and any stereo shop will have them, probably even auto zone and walmart.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

If your HU doens't say it, I believe you can tell by the number of speakers you have. I know that Monsoon has six speakers and the Bose (from what I can tell of earlier year models) had five speakers.

Forgot to add that if you want a kit for your HU and it's a 1 DIN, you can do a Google search for humount. That is what I'm going to get. If you want a 2 DIN HU then you can do a Google search for "double D mods" or "6 liter eater".
Old 03-25-2011, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sweet, I don't have the Monsoon. Any HU you guys could recommend as well as PNs for the harness, etc?
Old 03-25-2011, 06:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm looking into that myself. What do you want your HU to do? For example, for me, I want one to play CDs, MP3s, and have an option to plug in an external MP3 player (iPod or whatever). I also want a radio tuner. Satellite/HD radio isn't a high priority for me.

There are so many HUs out there that do so many things. There are some HUs that are basically used to play iPods, iPhones, etc. They don't even play CDs. So it depends on what functions you want. I have used Alpine and Pioneer HUs in the past and they are awesome. Right now though, I'm thinking about a Kenwood KDC-X994.

Also think of your price range you are willing to spend on one.

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q...og&sa=N&tab=wi
Old 03-25-2011, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Radio/iPod use. That's all I need and all I want. I really don't wanna break the bank on one either.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just do a search on this site or Google for HU installs. You can see a lot of examples of installs. Then just look at Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood, and Panasonic. I have heard good things about those four brands. I can personally say that Pioneers and Alpines are good brands. Find one that looks good to you as all HUs that they offer will meet your needs.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:56 PM
On The Tree

i have kicker components in mine front and back, dont have the sail speakers as for a deck with ipod hook up i dont think there is one out there they make that doesnt have it now just find one you like and you can go to walmart and get the harness for like 5 bucks