Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some Conversion Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 11:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Some Conversion Questions

Hey guys, I'm starting to save my pennies to afford a 5.3 swap by mid summer. But I have some questions on the best course of action. I know the 5.3 swap is fairly cheap, and I would be swapping this in a 89 RS Camaro with a V6. But my problem is, I would like to make the most power, for under $2500 with a 5.3, or alternatively a LT1. I plan to pair a T-56 with them if I can.

Which would be the cheapest route that will make the most power? Also, would it be possible to make 400HP at the crank of the 5.3 without any kind of forced induction? Or would the LT1 be a better choice for that goal? And with the 5.3 what options do I have as far as heads, and cams? How hard would it be to put a 408 LQ4 in it's place later on? Or is that a completely unrealistic idea?

The idea I have in my head is a 5.3, with a MS4 cam, LS6 intake, and whatever heads would be best to go with that set-up, followed by a T-56 behind it.

I want to get this done somewhat soon, or start getting parts soon because I'm really tired of just how slow my 2.8 V6 is. Thanks for reading and answering my questions, and if this is in the wrong place please move it. I really appreciate it. Thanks!

- Dalton
Old 03-26-2011, 06:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

There are a bunch of salvage yards on East Colonial. One on South OBT by the 408. Try car-part.com also

Oh, and the 5.3s are fairly inexpensive. You might be surprised that the LS prices have been getting better and better.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GNCLONE
There are a bunch of salvage yards on East Colonial. One on South OBT by the 408. Try car-part.com also
I go out to UPAP and LKQ a lot. But never really looked for a 5.3.
Originally Posted by GNCLONE
Oh, and the 5.3s are fairly inexpensive. You might be surprised that the LS prices have been getting better and better.
I've seen them sell for less than 500 with harness. So it should be fairly cheap to pull this off.