Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple ls questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 05:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple ls questions

1) are there any mechanical differences other than displacement and iron block vs aluminum block that would make a true ls1-2 better than a 5.3 or 6.0.

2) If there isn't any difference then later on when i want more power if i want to swap from a 5.3 to 6.0 block other than intake and L92 heads everything from the original build should just swap over right?

I'm thinking if this is all correct starting with a 5.3 and after the car is finished and i'm ready to add alot of power switching up to the 6.0 block for my turbo setup.

I'll keep the 5.3 for a 280z i want to buy.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Not sure I understand why you would purposely plan on doing things twice, but for most intents and purposes these motors are all the same in terms of what "fits" where.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate_67RS
1) are there any mechanical differences other than displacement and iron block vs aluminum block that would make a true ls1-2 better than a 5.3 or 6.0.

2) If there isn't any difference then later on when i want more power if i want to swap from a 5.3 to 6.0 block other than intake and L92 heads everything from the original build should just swap over right?

I'm thinking if this is all correct starting with a 5.3 and after the car is finished and i'm ready to add alot of power switching up to the 6.0 block for my turbo setup.

I'll keep the 5.3 for a 280z i want to buy.
The Gen III long blocks are all the same setup. All you will need to do is swap long blocks and retune the PCM.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd71
Not sure I understand why you would purposely plan on doing things twice, but for most intents and purposes these motors are all the same in terms of what "fits" where.
it all comes down to out of pocket at the moment if i go with a 5.3 and do most of the work now i have a running care now while i fix it up. Then when I am ready to spend on the engine again all i have to do is swap out the bigger block and add an FI system.

besides by then my son will be old enough to start his project and i will use the 5.3 as a base for a really nice 280z.