Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Installed 10" L7, Subthump Stealth box, and Kicker ZX500.1

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 07:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed 10" L7, Subthump Stealth box, and Kicker ZX500.1

I installed a 10" Kicker L7 in a Subthump Stealth Driverside Box. I am powering it with a Kicker ZX500.1 Mono Amp. I have the amp end caps on order to cover all the wiring. For wiring I used Kickers PK8 Amp kit, it is very nice quality stuff and well worth the money. I also purchased the remote bass controler and mounted it in storage space above the ash tray (non trac control car). I had previously replaced my blown sail subs with Kicker CVT 6.5" subs. I am alos running a USA Spec Ipod interface. I plan to upgrade all the rest of the speakers and get a Pioneer XT930 BT with my next phase. Here are a few pics of what I got so far.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Sound good?
Old 03-30-2011, 10:51 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Sound good?

That L7 and 500W (underated RMS) is way more than I think I needed, but it pays off to have quality stuff in the long run I guess. I am only running the amp at 1/4 gain and the bass is overpowering IMHO. The small box and L7 are great for rock type music with a lot of punch, but I was actually pretty suprised at the amount of resonating low bass it is still capable. No doubt the hatchbacks ability to resonate the frequencies has alot to do with it.
With the factory EQ and the bass control remote, I am able to tune it quite easy depending on the music I am listening too. I actually have to fiddle with it alot more than before I put the sub in though.

One major thing though, the flaws in the factory mid and highs are definatley more apparnet now. I am going to at a minumum upgrade the rest of the speakers. I really did not want to get crazy, but you know how that goes.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:46 PM
Launching!

I got the end caps on tonight to finish the install off. Pretty clean install if I say so.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

do the ttops fit with no problems having the amp there?

did you put anything behind the amp to hold it in place? is the amp mounted with screws?

speaker and amp are bad *** and looks like a really clean install.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:34 PM
TECH Regular

man that is a sweet setup, makes me miss my old setup. if ya don't mind me asking how much you got in this setup. I want to do something like this but not get insane with another system.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bobbyd
do the ttops fit with no problems having the amp there?

did you put anything behind the amp to hold it in place? is the amp mounted with screws?

speaker and amp are bad *** and looks like a really clean install.

The T-tops still do fit, I had just a few milimeters to play with, but the passenger T-top just barely slips in under the amp. The amp is screwed into two flat ridges on the back wall. All the wiring is ran behind the carpet and comes throught the carpet in a little recess right in the center of the amp. There is kind of a recess back in there, if you look behind your carpet on the back wall you'd see what I am talkign about.

One thing about the sub thump box and L7 though, the cage of that woofer is so beefy and the rubber surround is so rugged and big, the rubber edge of the passenger T-top is very close to the speaker when installed. Not sure if the surround contacting the t-top would be a huge issue, but it was something I did not expect. I tried as I could to get the sub box pushed back even a few milimeters, but I think its as far back as its gonna go.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by J-Train
The T-tops still do fit, I had just a few milimeters to play with, but the passenger T-top just barely slips in under the amp. The amp is screwed into two flat ridges on the back wall. All the wiring is ran behind the carpet and comes throught the carpet in a little recess right in the center of the amp. There is kind of a recess back in there, if you look behind your carpet on the back wall you'd see what I am talkign about.

One thing about the sub thump box and L7 though, the cage of that woofer is so beefy and the rubber surround is so rugged and big, the rubber edge of the passenger T-top is very close to the speaker when installed. Not sure if the surround contacting the t-top would be a huge issue, but it was something I did not expect. I tried as I could to get the sub box pushed back even a few milimeters, but I think its as far back as its gonna go.
sweet. i got hte 400.1 amp with a cvr 10". i will see if i can mount my amp in the same location.

thanks
Old 03-31-2011, 08:03 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bobbyd
sweet. i got hte 400.1 amp with a cvr 10". i will see if i can mount my amp in the same location.

thanks
I'd say just check and then double check again to make sure you have the amp positioned just right to make sure the passenger T-top has enough room to slide under the amp. The way the T-top slides down in the holders you won't need a whole lot. I really wanted to mount the amp in the front of the t-top well, but the gas tank is right in front of the front part of the t-top well, and did not want to take a chance drilling into the tank (that'd suck, lol).

I also played around with mounting in the spare tire well, but decided against it.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice setup. Which model of sail panel speaker did you install? CVT65, or 08CVT654? From what I can gather, looks like the 654s are newer models of the 65.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by tokuzumi
Nice setup. Which model of sail panel speaker did you install? CVT65, or 08CVT654? From what I can gather, looks like the 654s are newer models of the 65.
I think the newer CVT's have a dark grey cone like my L7, but the box for them said 08CVT something or another, I am pretty sure the differences in the two are very minute, mostly cosmetics. They work well, but make the cheap *** plastic grills rattle.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:35 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the exact set up I want on my SS, cuz it's ttops so I was confused on where to put an amp and subs, my old car was a v6 camaro hardtop and it had a custom sub box for two 12s on the spot where the ttop panel storage is located. Can I actually put subs on top of the flat bed or watever its called with custom box?
Old 04-01-2011, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BoricuaHec01
This is the exact set up I want on my SS, cuz it's ttops so I was confused on where to put an amp and subs, my old car was a v6 camaro hardtop and it had a custom sub box for two 12s on the spot where the ttop panel storage is located. Can I actually put subs on top of the flat bed or watever its called with custom box?
you can get subthump ttop box. this way you will be able to put a speaker box on the spot where teh ttops go and still be able to put your ttops back there.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:09 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That box actually makes it possible?
Old 04-09-2011, 04:51 PM
TECH Resident

nice setup...do you know where i can get the subthump box for the 10" l7 because i have one too. unfortunately i might have to use an amp rack for the longer kick 800.2 amp. I kind of figured that the bass is going to be a lil much but it's better to have more than less

also, is that a component speaker you replaced in the front? I really need to replace all my blown crappy speakers that are not even monsoon. How do you like your 6.5's? do you plan on amping them?
Old 04-09-2011, 06:01 PM
TECH Regular

Looks like a nice simple setup... how does it sound???
Old 02-25-2013, 12:39 PM
Teching In

Ive got the sub box you have but my question is what did u do to secure it in the empty compartment did you just screw into the body? Or make a mount for it?

Thanks!
Old 02-25-2013, 03:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Clean work!
Old 02-27-2013, 02:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

How good are those cvts? Ive been wanting to upgrade from the shitty sail panel speakers I have.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is the box portred? i built one that goes ontop of the gas tank

Quick Reply: Installed 10" L7, Subthump Stealth box, and Kicker ZX500.1