Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

'98 steel gas tank into '99+ f-body How-To

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 03:29 PM
Back in the staging lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '98 steel gas tank into '99+ f-body How-To

Ok so I'm going to attempt to do a writeup on putting the steel '98 gas tank into a '99+ car. I'm doing this after the fact so my pictures may be a little limited. When I was trying to do this swap, I searched around and found bits and pieces of info here and there with not all of it correct, or all in on location. There may be other ways to do it, but this is how I did it, and I can't imagine another way would be easier. You won't have to do any cutting or modifying on your tank to make this work. I will refer to them as the "plastic tank" ('99+) and the "steel tank" ('98) for simplicity. Here are some issues first.

The '98 fluid level sensor will not work with the '99+ pcm so you can't just use the original one from the steel tank.
The '99+ sending unit will not fit in the steel tank without some modifications.

First, remove both sending units and from both tanks. Unplug the pump from the steel tank and throw it away. You will have to take the fluid level sensor from the plastic tank, and mount it in place of the sensor for the steel tank. (You will reuse the sending unit from the steel tank.) If you look at them, they look very similar. Remove the plastic clips and unplug the both sensor from the sending units.

'98 sending unit (That is the plug for the fluid level sensor that will need to be removed)

You will need to take a jewelers flat head screwdriver and remove the purple wires from the plug. (Enter from the opposite end of the plug in this picture to remove them.) Then do the same to the plug on the other sending unit.

Then take the sensor from the plastic tank, and plug the purple wires to the plug from the steel tank.

You will also need to change out the arm and float. (If you notice in the picture, they are bent differently.)

Pry the little clips apart and pull the rod out of each one. Then put the plastic tank rod into the steel tank sensor.

The reason these have to be changed out is due to the design of inside of the steel tank. You can see the bar that goes across the inside in this picture. The sending unit and rod has to go ABOVE this bar when you put it back in. Make sure you go above it because it will go either way after you sump your tank.

You can now test your unit to make sure it work. Just take the entire sending unit and plug it into the plugs underneath your car. Turn the car on and manually move the level arm and watch your gas gauge.

Then bolt the original sending unit, with your new sensor and lever arm into the steel tank.

Hopefully this will help someone else looking to do this.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:08 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to reverse your fuel table in the tune file as the sender rotates the opposite way in a 98 tank.

98 clockwise is full
99 clockwise is empty

You should get your setup working before you tell others how to do it.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:42 PM
Back in the staging lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance
You need to reverse your fuel table in the tune file as the sender rotates the opposite way in a 98 tank.

98 clockwise is full
99 clockwise is empty

You should get your setup working before you tell others how to do it.
This wasn't a writeup on programming. This was about installing the tank. I wasn't trying to TELL anyone anything. I was trying to HELP.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was told even after altering the file in the tune it will still be off. Is this true?

Quick Reply: '98 steel gas tank into '99+ f-body How-To