Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Questions for 5.3L into v6 F-body

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 04:38 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Questions for 5.3L into v6 F-body

Ive had my 98 firebird for a couple years now and I'm making some more money now. My uncle works at LKQ (chop yard) and can get me a 5.3l with everything attached plus a 6 speed for roughly 800-1000. On top of that my dad has worked at Summit Racing for 21 yrs and has agreed to do the build with me and let me use his discount on parts. I'm dong a lot of rebuilding on the engine, heads/cam, aftermarket intake, full exhaust etc. I know im obviously going to have to change things like the oil pan, intake manifold, front springs, most of the fuel system and so on, but will i be able to use the same k-member thats in the car now? What all else will i have to change out as well.

The car originally had a 3.8L with the A4
Old 04-04-2011, 02:10 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by birdboy325
Ive had my 98 firebird for a couple years now and I'm making some more money now. My uncle works at LKQ (chop yard) and can get me a 5.3l with everything attached plus a 6 speed for roughly 800-1000. On top of that my dad has worked at Summit Racing for 21 yrs and has agreed to do the build with me and let me use his discount on parts. I'm dong a lot of rebuilding on the engine, heads/cam, aftermarket intake, full exhaust etc. I know im obviously going to have to change things like the oil pan, intake manifold, front springs, most of the fuel system and so on, but will i be able to use the same k-member thats in the car now? What all else will i have to change out as well.

The car originally had a 3.8L with the A4
Here is the cheapest method:
Step 1: Sell V6 Camaro
Step 2: Buy LS1-powered Camaro
Step 3: Enjoy

You will spend more money on the conversion than it's worth. You can pick up some great LS F-bodies now days at very reasonable prices. Unless you have a lot of points on your license and are doing it for insurance reasons I don't see the point.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech
Here is the cheapest method:
Step 1: Sell V6 Camaro
Step 2: Buy LS1-powered Camaro
Step 3: Enjoy

You will spend more money on the conversion than it's worth. You can pick up some great LS F-bodies now days at very reasonable prices. Unless you have a lot of points on your license and are doing it for insurance reasons I don't see the point.
+1 for great idea
+1 for mentioning switch to ls engine. Never was a fan of the 5.3s. Do what you want. It's your car.