General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Losing fuel pressure, but only dies in idle(runs bad otherwise once warm)

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 07:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Losing fuel pressure, but only dies in idle(runs bad otherwise once warm)

I finally did a fuel pressure test on my car, and when I turn the key it holds 55 psi.. It will hold that amount until it runs for a while(about 10 minutes on a hot day.. doesn't happen when it's cold). then it falls down to like 2-3 psi pretty quick(this is when the car would normally start to kinda stumble while on the highway), after about 1 minute of being at 2-3 psi it kicked back up to 55, then fell back down. did that like 2-3 times then it started to actually die.

Could this be anything other than fuel pump? Car never died on the highway, it doesn't have these symptoms when it's cold out, and it actually did this for the first time like 10 months ago, I just never really drove it too much when it was hot to notice it happen more.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check the fuel filter? Also check the plugs for the wires where they plug into the pump. Those could be loose. Other than that, someone else is gonna have to chime in.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:01 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fuel filter seems like an issue that would be more consistent. Not sure how heat would bother a fuel filter. I was thinking more along the lines of vapor lock or something.

Quick Reply: Losing fuel pressure, but only dies in idle(runs bad otherwise once warm)