General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Aligning window motor gears with regulator gears? Help PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 09:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Aligning window motor gears with regulator gears? Help PLEASE!

To make it short I took out my original dead motor and replaced it with a new one. I kept the regulator riveted in place, only took out the motor. I'm having a VERY hard time knowing where/how to align the window motor gears with the regulator gears, wish I could see in there. Anyone know what I should do? I also cant get any of the three holes I sharpied around to mount it to line up. My holes are sharpied like in this pic

How will I know if I have the gears lined up correctly? Don't know why this is so hard for me, serves me right for attempting this so late when Im so tired
Old 04-01-2011, 09:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

it will line up....trust me........been there
Old 04-01-2011, 09:44 PM
TECH Resident

But how do I know I've gotten it lined up??? I can't seem to get any of the damn screw holes lined up, let alone 3!
Old 04-02-2011, 12:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

get the top 1 in 1st
Old 04-02-2011, 04:03 AM
TECH Resident

Unforunately I did and still no results. Wouldnt align for ****, had other ppl try to help to. Taking it somewhere tomorrow, too much hassle
Old 04-02-2011, 02:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

dammm..........took me all of 5 mins
Old 04-02-2011, 05:33 PM
TECH Resident

I donno what the hell the deal is man, everyone else seems to have such an easy time with it but I couldn't for the life of me get those holes to line up. Decided not to take it to a shop just yet, going to give it one more go. I'm going to drill our the regulator rivets though and take the regulator out, attach it and do it that way though. Already have some new rivets and a riveter.

How were you able to make the window motor holes all line up perfectly with the 3 holes that you made when you took out the stock window motor rivets?
Old 04-02-2011, 08:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

i just kinda turned it a little til the motor gears meshed with the regulator gears then i slapped in that top screw
Old 04-03-2011, 12:54 AM
TECH Resident

My problem is I can't tell where the reluctor gears are so I don't know how to tell if they've mashed or not. Thought I got it at one point because I was able to get the window to roll up but when I screwed in the top screw, I couldn't get the bottom or middle on to line up at all. The motor was basically stuck in place so I couldn't move it to adjust it. Quite enraging. Taking off the reluctor tomorrow and will do it, decided to say **** a shop, never used them before, why start now? lol
Old 04-03-2011, 01:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

dont make me come over there..........it will cost you gas money
Old 04-03-2011, 01:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hook the motor up to the electrical connection and bump the the window switch to turn the gears on the motor slightly. That's all I had to do and it went in just fine.

Now if I could only find out how to get the clock spring back in. I listened to someone who said to drill out the 4 rivets when you first take the door panel off. Then I came on here and found the instructions to drill the door skin and just take the motor out.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:35 PM
TECH Resident

Haha sjsingle1 if I cant get this tomorrow I swear to god Im taking this to you. Would rather throw some $$$ your way then pay a shop $100 to do it.

I did move the gears a bit but still no luck! D:I havent taken out the reluctor yet (not sure how to get rid of those rivets) and I can get the motor into the hole that's near the reluctor gears so it's mounted in place, and the top hole will align but the bottom is off and the middle hole on the motor is not even CLOSE to the hole to put the screw through. As mentioned above I sharpied around the holes like in this pic

But those seem to be off. But even if I try to look at the other holes that aren't sharpied I STILL can't seem to get the middle one to align to save my life! Can anyone chime in on this?
Old 04-03-2011, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do they match the old motor?
Old 04-03-2011, 06:18 PM
TECH Resident

Right after making that post I check that myself and it seems Shoe Box was completely wrong. I made sure to mark the ones that matched with the motor and it went without a hitch. I'm a little pissed that he marked the wrong ones but it's my fault for not checking, but **** happens. Everythings bolted in and working flawlessly

I have no doubt I could probably do this in under an hour if I had to do it again

Quick Reply: Aligning window motor gears with regulator gears? Help PLEASE!