Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Would like advice on what 6 1/5" speaker i should get for monsoon system....

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 07:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Would like advice on what 6 1/5" speaker i should get for monsoon system....

Im only asking becase ive been out of the loop somewhat for the last 10yrs,,, but have done plenty of installs,,,and was wondering a good quality low dollar speaker. Back 10yrs ago I could of told you what I prefer,,, but now id like some advice...

Previous likes: kenwood, infinity and alpine (still very affordable)
Previous dislikes: sony, pyramid and Jensen

Now I see all these names like:
Power Acoustik
Quantum audio
soundstorm
DTI
Boss
Bass inferno

If anyone has owned these brands recently, if so let me know your experiances... Im looking to replace my sails and door 6.5". I have a monsoon system in my 98 and read that the rears are just bass drivers,,, so ill prob get coaxle speakers for the front and what for the back mid bass driver?? Or should it be mid bass drivers all around?? Im also not going to spend a hole hell of alot,,, but I know ebay has better deals on good stuff then the crappy dual brands at walmart haha, thanks

PS. info is,,, im useing an xcelion kenwood deck and will be adding an 12"alpine type R sub and kenwood 600w amp.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:33 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Please read the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the section first. Then contact Kee Audio to get speakers that will properly match the Monsoon system wiring. DO NOT put coaxial speakers in the doors or especially in the sail panels unless you just want the cheapest possible replacements and don't care about sound quality.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

yes thanks I did read it before posting,,, i do realize im looking for component mid bass speakers,,, but after re reading that one section you wrote,,, i just now realized the rears 6.5 are subs,,, and I guess they wont be needed,, so if i cut them out and tape the leads off is that ok,, not going to affect the rear tweets is it?
as for the front im still thinking 2 mid bass components. You basicly say 4ohm instead of a 2 is ok anyhow right?
Old 04-02-2011, 08:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok also,,,,,so is the crossover or whatever located right on the hatch speakers so if you ditch em and use those wires for a set of components your getting full range to them???
Old 04-03-2011, 08:18 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by jcurrieta
yes thanks I did read it before posting,,, i do realize im looking for component mid bass speakers,,, but after re reading that one section you wrote,,, i just now realized the rears 6.5 are subs,,, and I guess they wont be needed,, so if i cut them out and tape the leads off is that ok,, not going to affect the rear tweets is it?
as for the front im still thinking 2 mid bass components. You basicly say 4ohm instead of a 2 is ok anyhow right?
Removing the sail panel subs will have no effect on other speakers because they're all handled by separate channels of the amp. However, leaving them in could be to your advantage. 6.5" subs are not good at really low frequencies (they're more mid-bass) whereas a separate sub in the rear would not excel at that mid-bass range. Choose carefully and you can have the best of both - hard hitting bass from the rear sub and full mid-bass from the sail panels.

As long as you get efficient components, you won't notice the difference using 4-ohm speakers in the doors.

Originally Posted by jcurrieta
ok also,,,,,so is the crossover or whatever located right on the hatch speakers so if you ditch em and use those wires for a set of components your getting full range to them???
Not exactly... the 4" mids in the hatch get full-range signal but the hatch tweeters have an inline high-pass filter in the wiring.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

k cool thanks,,, I understand what you mean about the midbass from the small sail subs,,, only reason i was thinking about getting rid of em was to put in a full range (I just bought kenwood 2 ways) to put in instead and use the hatch wires or use another external amp i have already to run em, and just run 2 rca's one for the 12" sub, one for rear speakers in the sails,,, and leave the hatch ones running thru the monsoon amp. I also picked up a set of cheaper slim cadence components for the front doors,, hopefully I can get the tweets to fit but no biggy,,, I just want to get up and running, just got the car the other day and right now one stock speaker is missing and 2 are blown so anything is better then I got now. Ill see what i get from the fronts,,, im not expecting much but the price was right and I can always swap em out later on when I have more money for this kinda garbage lol
Thanks for yer help by the way.