New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to the site with a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the site with a few questions.

Hello all im new here and i need some help with my car.

I got a 00 z28 and im trying to get it back up and running.
Right now i know the transmission is out thats huge but it has another problem.

Back in December on the 1 night i went to bed before 3am it got stolen although it did not go far with the messed up transmission they got it about half a mile down the road lol.

Glad i was asleep otherwise id be replacing alot of glass and cleaning up mass amounts of blood but thats besides the point.

They busted out my steering columb and i cant start it with my keys anymore what parts do i need to fix this issue?

I know the new transmission is going to cost alot of money ive broke it twice now so im going to upgrade to a Performance-built-transmission and hopfully it wont break down on me agian.

Also i want as better security system in it or a GPS tracking device (so if it gets stolen i get to go hunting ) the stock one is to easy to disable.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:54 PM
TECH Regular

what exactly was broken. not familiar with stealing cars, so i dont know what you have to break to do it. will the key not turn or will it not go in?
Old 04-07-2011, 04:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

my security is a .223 and .45

did they cut wires or just break the column lock and the ignition switch cylinder

you could always put a battery discontect switch with a removable key on it like the use for strip and dirt track cars
Old 04-07-2011, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by shorty(98TA)
my security is a .223 and .45

did they cut wires or just break the column lock and the ignition switch cylinder

you could always put a battery discontect switch with a removable key on it like the use for strip and dirt track cars
The key turns it appers that an oval shape metal clip was broken it looks like its should grab sumpthin and pull it i would take a picture of it if i had my digi camara. no wires appear to be cut. The cylinder appers to be fine its just the assembley around it and the connectors that see to be broken.
The key turns but it does not seem to grab anything theres no pull to it at all it feels like firing a gun with horriable trigger run but no click at the end.

Im not to good with cars in at all the only things i can do is some block work, brakes and radios. Numbers are more my speciality.

my security is a .308 and .40 but does no good when my cars 100 meters away from where im sleeping and i cant hear the alarm going off sadly
But yes i will definetly look into the battary disconect switch that sounds like a great cheap idea.

Now with the battery disconnector im guessing i will need a secondary battary for the alarm and radio(so it dont lose the time) to be on constently or does it run some kind of line that just cuts off power to the ignition systems?
Old 04-07-2011, 05:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

if they broke that much stuff id just buy a new column. uh as far as the bat disconnect goes they are made to cut power to the whole car so id wire it in the main pos cable off ur bat then just hook up ur power supply for ur radio and alarm sraight off the battery no need for secondary battery
Old 04-07-2011, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by shorty(98TA)
if they broke that much stuff id just buy a new column. uh as far as the bat disconnect goes they are made to cut power to the whole car so id wire it in the main pos cable off ur bat then just hook up ur power supply for ur radio and alarm sraight off the battery no need for secondary battery
Cool thanks i greatly appraciate it. ill start browsing for a whole new column i already found a battery disconect