Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

It keeps dying on me!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It keeps dying on me!

I have a 2001 SS Camaro. Recently it has been just randomly losing power while we're driving. This morning I was sitting waiting for a train, it was idling fine, but when I started back going all the lights in the dash came on, then went off and it started acting like it was going to die, I pressed on the gas a little and it was okay but when I had to slow down it did the same thing and died right as I was about to pull in my drive way. It cranked right back up with no problem, but this has happened twice so far, once to me and once to my husband. When it happened to him he said that the first thing he noticed was the lights going real dim.

Anyone have any ideas of what this could be?

Thanks!
Old 04-08-2011, 11:13 AM
On The Tree

when was the last time the plugs and wires were changed?
also make sure you use 93 octane gas iv also noticed that my car will tell me when a gas station is using crap gas because it will do that.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:18 PM
Teching In

alternater
Old 04-09-2011, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by rip 1blk ss
alternater
Could be, but cranking back up right away leads me to believe it may be a fuel pump issue (getting intermittent power, or low power).

If it was the alternator, then the battery would have to be dead too for the car to die, and it wouldn't fire back up again. Also, giving it gas wouldn't keep the car running with an alternator issue.

I would say check the fuel pump. Mine went on me because I was dumb enough to run the tank less than 1/4 on the hot days too often. Car would still run and drive, but not much for power.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Seen this problem before, but don't know if yours is the same. Check and make sure your battery terminals are connected good or not cruddy and messed up. Your gauge lights all coming on leave me to believe that your loosing diect power or bad connection. I know it shouldn't matter if the alternator is good, but trust me it will do exactly the same thing your explaining if the connection is bad on your battery.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like a charging problem too me.

Quick Reply: It keeps dying on me!