Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake or Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 03:24 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake or Exhaust

just got a 99 TA a few weeks ago and when i get them money i want to do either intake or exhaust... which should i go with first? does it matter? i am thinking exhaust first... Pacesetter LT with ORY to SLP LM??
what are your thoughts?
Old 04-11-2011, 03:35 AM
TECH Addict

I would split it up, if you go all exhaust then you will still be bottlenecked by the intake system. IF you go all intake you will be bottlenecked by the exhaust. Instead of doing headers and a catback. I would go with a lid and a catback to maximize the gain. And then add headers followed by an intake or throttle body. The stock lid and catback are pretty restrictive. So that would probable be the best combo for the best overall gains, and seems to be the top 2 mods that people do on stock cars
Old 04-11-2011, 03:38 AM
TECH Regular

ok well heres what im lookin at for the lid... ive got the flat k&n filter already... with the k&n FIPK do you still run a lid or no? any opinions on the filter? if it is not a big deal then i will just get a lid...
Old 04-11-2011, 08:51 AM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need a lid first before anything. I'm getting one real soon, then a catback after, then headers and y pipe.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:03 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bones_c
ok well heres what im lookin at for the lid... ive got the flat k&n filter already... with the k&n FIPK do you still run a lid or no? any opinions on the filter? if it is not a big deal then i will just get a lid...
In my opinion avoid the FIPK. Get a decent lid and a good catback exhaust. From that point forward I would start working down the bolt-on chain front to back. Throttle body, intake manifold, headers & y/x-pipe.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:20 AM
TECH Addict

If you just have a K&N square filter that goes under the stock lid, then yes you still need a lid. But if you have the K&N intake system that is more of a cone exposed filter then you do not need a lid. From all the dyno results I have seen they both provide similar gains. Although different people prefer one over another for whatever reason. I think the main reason why people go lid over the K&N FIPK is cost. Lids are under 100 and the K&N pack is a little over 300 last time I checked and the gains are the same.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:44 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did ls6 intake, headers, and ory as the first mod's, which I should have got a lid when I put the intake on because it always seemed like it was struggling for air. I put a lid on last week and it really made a big difference in the throttle response. I would do as everyone else is saying and do a lid and cat back first and then go from there
Old 04-11-2011, 11:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Definately finish up your exhaust first...and you might or might not like a LM1 mated to an off road setup, a lot of guys dont because of the rasp.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

definitely go with a lid, longtube headers, and the catback exhaust for sure.

You should be able to find all these used in the classified section. Even if you bought brand new you might even spend less than $1,000 bucks.

I would just wait to do the intake. Just save and find yourself a fast 90 or a fast 92 intake.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

depending on your budget, go lid then price out various catbacks
Old 04-11-2011, 05:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just got a 99 TA a few weeks ago and when i get them money i want to do either intake or exhaust... which should i go with first? does it matter? i am thinking exhaust first... Pacesetter LT with ORY to SLP LM??
what are your thoughts?
Everything in the sig + LS6 intake and ported TB.