Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What gauge wire for relays?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 07:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What gauge wire for relays?

I am making a fuse and relay box for a conversion. What is the recommended gauge wire for fan, fuel pump and A/C? I searched and found some were using 12 gauge for the fuel pump, would that do for all of it? From what I can find out, going bigger is better than smaller.
The computer and fuse/relay box will be in the car, do I need to get the TXL insulation or would any work?
Any recommendations on where to buy the wire? I found Weytech, any others?

Thanks, for any responses.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:30 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The short answer is it depends. For the fan what is the amperage draw that your fan uses? I used 10 gauge for my fans because I knew they pulled a lot of amperage. The fuel pump is another big area of debate. I believe the stock harness uses 16 gauge for the fuel pump, but I used 14 on my swap B/C I felt the 16 was undersized. The hotwire kits use either 10 or 12 because it will carry more amperage and if you have an upgraded fuel pump the factory wire may not be able to support it. The bottom line is to check what your components suggest and if in doubt upsizing is better than going too small. For the A/C check what your GM harness uses, I think its either 14 or 16.

Any insulation will work, but only automotive grade wire is going to hold up and last. I`m not sure what insulation designation you should be looking for though, as I usually just use wires from the extra wiring harnesses that I have laying around.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

GM uses 12 ga for fans, 16ga for fuel and 18ga for AC

Depending on your fan draw, you may have to use 10ga. Fuel is a sticky subject because "hotwire kits" use some larger than stock gauge while retaining the stock 16ga intank wiring. How that helps Im not sure. External pumps like A1000, should definitely use what is recommended. The AC relay's job is to take the 12v feed job away from PCM. The compressor clutch doesnt draw much power, so 18ga like stock is fine
Old 04-14-2011, 08:32 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, for the replies. They are very helpful. I will be using the factory fans and fuel pump. After I posted I realized measuring what came on the car would answer the fuel and fan question but I didn't know what the LS motor used for the A/C.
Where is a good place to buy wire?

Quick Reply: What gauge wire for relays?