New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lm7 wont turn more than 90 degrees by hand?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 06:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lm7 wont turn more than 90 degrees by hand?

Is my motor f'd? it sounds smooth till the end, then i hear some valve creak (i think) and it hits a dead spot. i can put a lot of *** into it and it wont budge. is this just part of the timing chain tension?

motor was stored dry and i put oil in and sprayed a little pb blast into the combustion chambers.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:45 PM
Teching In

If the spark plugs are all out and the engine literally won't turn over without significant force- do not force it, something is wrong.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:27 PM
Teching In

crap, i kinda figured ...i was hoping i might be overlooking something specific to these motors.

Off with its head this weekend to see whats up. I was thinking to go ahead and bore it to 6.0 and stuff some forged internals in depending on whats the issue. I'm hoping its not a bad head/valves, cause i already sold an extra set of heads i had acquired...lol
Old 04-18-2011, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by awdxboost
crap, i kinda figured ...i was hoping i might be overlooking something specific to these motors.

Off with its head this weekend to see whats up. I was thinking to go ahead and bore it to 6.0 and stuff some forged internals in depending on whats the issue. I'm hoping its not a bad head/valves, cause i already sold an extra set of heads i had acquired...lol
LM7 = 5.3L? If so, the max it can safely be bore'd to is a 5.7L... the displacement of an LS1.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
LM7 = 5.3L? If so, the max it can safely be bore'd to is a 5.7L... the displacement of an LS1.
ahh thanks for the info, i thought it could be taken out a little more than that

im thinking its time for a full build...its gonna be about 2k unfortunately, but the power output should be worth it

basically it just had a lot of surface rust from sitting for so long, the lower rotating assemble seems okay, no spun bearings or gashes in the cylinders, but its will need pistons, maybe rods and new bearings. Ill get the crankshaft mic'd to make sure its in spec

the valves are f'd, so ill have to rebuild the heads too

Last edited by awdxboost; 04-18-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:20 PM
Banned

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I have seen a few motors that were good low mileage and stored for a significant amount of time rust at the base of the cylinders due to humidity and lack of movement. pull the pan if you have not all ready and take a good look. you will probably have to punch it out if this is the case due to pitting of the cyl walls.