Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

audio newb, NEED HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 06:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default audio newb, NEED HELP!!!

i know this has to have been asked alot but i searched and couldnt find anything.

i just bought a 2000 trans am with only 19k miles with monsoon system and all the little gizmo's

i just drove it back to NC from MI and i blew the drivers sail panel speaker. i took it apart and noticed its a 4 wire speaker. i guess these are special speakers from what iive read on here.

all im trying to do is find a place that sells a GM stock replacement. or a aftermarket replacement that will go in without any re-wiring.

thanks.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:39 PM
Teching In

Exclamation Kee

Originally Posted by scoutsniper
i know this has to have been asked alot but i searched and couldnt find anything.

i just bought a 2000 trans am with only 19k miles with monsoon system and all the little gizmo's

i just drove it back to NC from MI and i blew the drivers sail panel speaker. i took it apart and noticed its a 4 wire speaker. i guess these are special speakers from what iive read on here.

all im trying to do is find a place that sells a GM stock replacement. or a aftermarket replacement that will go in without any re-wiring.

thanks.
Ian from keeaudio.com can help you
Old 04-21-2011, 02:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

don't bother buying OEM monsoon speakers, I tried that and they blow out just as quickly as the low mile speakers you just blew lol. Get the KEE audio speakers, i bought the premium speakers and they are great.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Assuming you have read the FAQ... if not, please do, lot of useful info there.

What you want is a dual voice coil (DVC) 6.5" mid-bass cone. Each coil should be 4 Ohms (4 + 4). Several sponsors here offer them.

Audiopipe, CDT (maybe not yet?), Elemental Designs (used to, at least) and Bazooka all make cones that will work in the application. probably some other brands, too. I wouldn't bother with OEM Delco cones as they are expensive (for what they are), less reliable and generally don't perform as well. But you may find used ones fairly cheap as people frequently upgrade.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, if I were you I'd just upgrade and make sure you get a speaker that has the specs that Capricio listed. As with everything else, when it breaks, replace it with something stronger. Although I've never blown a stock monsoon speaker in about 75,000 miles...