Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jeep v8 conversion!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 01:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep v8 conversion!

Hello everybody, I've been reading and collecting valuable information to finish my project but now more than ever I'm in need all of your knowledge to finish it.

It’s been more than a year that I started my project (V8 Swap) and I can't make it run the way it supposed to run. This is what is happening:

When I first start the jeep everything works good, the jeep accelerate good and shifts fine but after 20 to 25 minutes driving it the Jeep start doing weird things like down shifting and then holding the gear and not up-shifting. If let go the gas the transmission up shift but I can feel some kind of lag and as soon as I press the gas pedal again the transmission downshift again and if I accelerate more I feel like the transmission it starting to slip or like it’s going to neutral sometimes I even reach the rev limiter.

I took the jeep to a transmission shop and the technician didn’t want to do anything because the Chevy motor and transmission doesn't belong to a jeep.

My truck is a 93 Jeep wrangler, my motor is a 4.8 L FI from a 2006 Chevy Van Express, my transmission is a 4l60e from a 2004 Chevy Tahoe, wire harness and computer from Jim's performance.

I connected the scanner and there are no codes present or pending. Somebody told me something about the TCC connected to a brake switch but the guy wasn't very clear. (I do not have nothing connected too my brake switch other than the lights)

What do you guys think the problem may be?

Please help; this is going to be my second summer without my jeep if I don't fix this

Thank you
Old 04-19-2011, 02:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many miles are on it? Could it be that it is doing what u said it feels like and slipping? I know you probably have but check the trans fluid level. What gear is it doing this in? Also do you have any way to monitor trans temp since you said its only after 20-25 min that it starts.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:43 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

It sounds like the torque converter is staying locked. Torque converter has to be connected to the brake pedal so when you step on the brake the torque converter lockup will release. The harness should have a wire coming from the PCM connected to the brake switch so when the key is on, without touching the brake pedal, there is 12-volts present (PCM grounds the circuit). When you step on the brake, the circuit should open to unlock the converter. It works exactly opposite of your brake lights. A 93 Jeep should have the proper switch. If you need a pinout, send me a pm. If you need a brake switch, we sell a kit for $17. Hope this helps.

Jon

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 04-19-2011, 07:49 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used a 2000 Camaro brake light switch. It has the open switch for the PCM and the ground switch for the brake lights.

Quick Reply: Jeep v8 conversion!