Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Intermittent problem diagnostic

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Intermittent problem diagnostic

Everything on my clutch is factory original. Every once in a while, I'll go to press the clutch pedal and it will basically fall halfway to the floor without any resistance. Then the friction zone is right on the floor. When I go to release it, the pedal moves back up the same way it went down and sometimes struggles to bounce back up to the top. When I go to push the clutch again immediately after, usually the pedal works normally. This can happen between shifts, this is when its the weirdest. Occasionally when this happens, especially when the car is going slow or stopped, I have to put my foot under the pedal to yank the pedal up the rest of the way.

I guess it could be air in the line, but couldn't it also be a collapsed clutch line? A problem with the master cylinder?

I'm going to be replacing the clutch soon, I just only want to be under the car once. Do you guys think its the line,
Old 04-24-2011, 11:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by killernoodle
When I go to push the clutch again immediately after, usually the pedal works normally.
This part here has me thinking you just need to replace your clutch.. A damaged pressure plate could easily cause the issue..

Im leaning away from the Slave and MC bc you say it is soo intermittent. The only thing that makes me wonder is the fact that you can pull the pedal back up and it will work ok..

The line wouldnt collapse..

Try bleeding the system and get some new fluid in there. Let us know what you get. It is a good place to start as it is the cheapest place to start.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:27 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It could be plate related, as a result of issues within the self-adjusting mechanism in the pressure-plate. Of course, it could also be relative to a slave or master that are losing their ability to maintain pressure properly or it could be related to air in the system. Have you checked the reservoir? Is the fluid dark or discolored? Bleeding is a great first step. Just let ke know what you see as the result and we can provide further assistance as needed. Thanks,