Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuilding my LS1

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 02:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilding my LS1

Hi Guys I'm new to LS1 Tech so Gday.

Ok I'll give a little background on why I'm rebuilding. At the start if this year got myself a 2000 ss commodore with a ls1 and T56(if your unfamiliar with the Australian commodore its similar to the 2004 Pontiac GTO in shape).

The the car already had quite a few mods which had it at around 265rwk.

ORI
maffless
ls2 intake
84mm Throttle Body
Comp XER281HR cam Pushrods Valve Springs Steel Retainers Valve Locks Valve Seals Roller Lifters
DeFillipo Extractors with twin 2 ½ “ Cat Back

The car was going great when one day it developed a tick that then developed into a loud screech. I've since had a performance car joint tear down the engine and the news is pretty bad.

Apparently before I owned the car a cam lobe had been rounded off which in turn caused the engine oil to fill with bits of metal from the cam and wore out anything that moves.

This is a list of things I will need to replace.

Rod bolts
Valve springs
Cam
Roller lifters
Rod bearings
Main bearings
Pistons and rings

Keep in mind I don't have an unlimited budget for this my questions are as follows.

What brands should I go for and what ones should I keep away from?
What pistons should I go for forged/standard?
Can I get high compression ones with the standard bore?
Can I get more cubes with the standard bore but different length rods and pistons?
Is there anything else I could easy replace for minimal cost that would give a power boost?

Does anyone know of a good online shop for getting all this stuff from. Shipping is not much of an issue from the US as I have lined up a spot in a shipping container.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 04-25-2011 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Non-sponsor links removed.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

check some sponsors here for help.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been looking at some forged pistons the numbers look stock becides the compression height.

If memory serves me the stock height is 1.33, as these are 1.314 will this give me more compression and more power?

If so how much power approx?

Mahle LS1314898F04 Small Block Chevy LS1-2-6 Flat Top Piston PowerPak 345c.i.,3.898 Bore,3.622 Stroke,6.125 Rod,1.314 Compreesion Height,0.927 Pin,-4cc Vol. 388g,10.1 c/r, 4032 Aluminum

Quick Reply: Rebuilding my LS1