Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

New sound system recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 06:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New sound system recommendations

I recently got an rough '97 Z28. For whatever reason, someone had decided to pull out the 8 speaker monsoon system and put in a 4 speaker system. It had no HU when I got the car, but I got my hands on an old Monsoon head unit that plugged right in without issue.

It sounds pretty bad right now, and I'm looking for a major update to it. I'm don't know a whole ton about audio stuff, but I don't think I'm stupid either. Does anyone have recommendations for which speakers are the best for the price?

I can't find the factory amp, or any amp at all really, but I thought that things were real quiet when there was no amp. They aren't quiet really (they just sound horrible at high volume), I'm just wondering if I need to look harder or if the Monsoon head unit has enough power to run a few speakers.

I plan on installing a full Windows car PC later on, so I'm looking for it to be easy to pull this HU out and plug it into a PC later on. I can't afford to do both right now.

Any information is welcome.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are quite a few threads about this, but first things first:

The factory head units are the same, monsoon or non-monsoon label. The presence of the amp and better speakers is what makes the monsoon system a monsoon system, the head unit only has the sticker or not.

The factory head unit is terrible and produces lots of distortion. Heavily consider replacing the factory head unit with an aftermarket one unless you definitely want a car PC to work as your head unit. *If you go this route, an amp for your speakers is required no matter what, of course.

If your speakers are bought from best buy, consider looking into Kee Audio's speaker packages or search for other speaker sets people have installed in their cars.

An amp to power your speakers is generally a good idea for high sound quality, but if you are looking for thumping bass and high sound quality, get an amp to power your set of speakers plus a higher power channel for a sub. If you want thumping bass and not concerned with sound quality, skip the multi-channeled amp for your speakers and only get a monoblock amp for a sub.