Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wideband sensor and gauge Qs

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wideband sensor and gauge Qs

Ive tried some reading and searching, but cant seem to find what Im looking for.

Ive got a LQ4 Im going to put LS3 heads, a FAST 102 and cable TB and probly an out of the box comp cam. My ECM is a 2001 4.8L tune and a 4l60e trans. I have HP Tuners Pro, and the stock O2 sensors.

I want to be able to tune this new 6L properly, so how and what do I do with my O2 sensors?? Should I just drill a new hole in my exhaust and have a complete stand alone sensor?? If I do that can I pigtail the sensor wires into my HPT for datalogging?? Do I have to use a sensor gauge combo that has a gauge output?? Can I just replace my stock sensors with new wideband ones and plug them into the ecm like normal and pigtail off that and send one signal the to the ecm and one to the HPT?? Widebands read 0-5V, and narrow are 0-1V so how does my ecm handle this, can I change a setting in my ecm for this??

Sorry for the barrage of Qs, but Im pretty confused on this subject.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

You need the stock O2 for normal operation. The switch at 14.4 and keep the air/fuel ratio in line. When you go wide open throttle the air/fuel ratio should go to 12.8 or so. This is where you need a wide band. You need to get one that you hook to HPT and log the WOT runs and make changes to get the A/F ratio you want.

You need a complete stand alone sensor gauge combo that has a gauge output of 0-5 volts to HPT for WOT tuning.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the info, that helps lots.

So if I use the wideband for tuning, and dial everything in with that reading, what if the narrow bands connected to the ecm read different and try to do something else, like alter the long term fuel trim or something??
Old 04-28-2011, 12:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

If you're wideband is calibrated properly and you set your tune properly they will be (nearly) the same.

WOT isn't the only place to use the wideband and / or datalog. You can resolve a lot of drive ability issues by logging part throttle and steady state (if you can) operation. I do this long before trying a WOT run.

You don't actually need the external gauge, you only need a wideband and controller. You can't really monitor the gauge while driving anyway.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Right on.

Great info, thanks guys. Clears things up for me lots. Hopefully other searchers find this and helps them too.