PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ETC Throttle Oddity? Scan inside..

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 10:49 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ETC Throttle Oddity? Scan inside..

Here is a log of all of the throttle PIDs for my controller (EFILive.) Notice how accelerator position (APP) pegs 100% when my ETC pedal position (ETCPED) is only at 70 counts (shows 153 with the pedal to the floor.)

The log is with the engine off pressing the throttle down slowly all the way down, then releasing slowly. I only looked into this because its an engine swap and the throttle response doesn't feel linear driving it.

Also, is there a way to reprogram the TAC so I could have a full pedal worth of throttle...0% throttle = 0 ETC pedal counts, 100% throttle = 153 pedal counts?

Let me know your thoughts / experiences, Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: efi
WTF_throttle_position.efi (13.4 KB, 88 views)
Old 04-28-2011, 11:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Seems to me that most DBW oddities cannot be resolved. If your DBW is working at all, just consider yourself lucky

I have some pedal oddities too, but I've come to realize that I just need to modify the pedal with a different stop position, and possibly re-shape the pedal arm to make it work better to my liking.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

And I forgot to mention, I think the root cause of this is difference in total travel between the EAP and non-EAP gas pedals. If you compare them side-by-side (I put a picture of it somewhere...), the EAP pedal has about 30% less total mechanical travel than the fixed pedal.

APP sensors on both pedals are the same, TAC module PN's are the same, so it's not a hardware issue. Somewhere in the OS there must be an expected range of APP travel. We just don't have access to it.

That's my belief anyway
Old 04-29-2011, 04:35 PM
Launching!

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a EAP gas pedal?

I just checked out a couple of stock vehicles of the same year and their throttle plate / pedal relation is the way it should be. Mine is pegged open with my foot halfway into the pedal, and theirs is open all the way when the pedal is about 98% of the way down (MUCH better.)

I would be nice to know which TAC modules we need for our tunes, especially us swap guys who dont necessarily have all the parts from the same vehicle.

Some of the questions I have are:
Does the TAC module and pedal have to be from the year of the tune, or just the same type?
Does the throttle body need to match the year of tune?
Can we some how recalibrate the TAC module?

I think I speak for most everyone in the fact that there should be more information on DBW setups...
Old 05-01-2011, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

EAP is electronic adjustable pedals.

I THINK... as long as you have a TB, TAC, pedal, and pedal harness from a 2003-2005 (6.0, 5.3, or 4.8) you are OK. prior to 2003 or 2006+ is different, so you have to make sure you don't have a 2002 TAC module with a 2005 pedal, etc.

Any time you go and check for TAC, pedal, harness parts, they all call for the same parts for these years. I believe all the pedal travel related stuff is in the OS.

Here is a pic in the travel difference between EAP and non-EAP gas pedals... There's much less overall pedal travel when you have EAP.

That's my theory anyway, but others have stated they have had this problem with parts they pulled out of the original vechicle all together. That certainly baffles me.
Attached Thumbnails ETC Throttle Oddity? Scan inside..-2011-01-22_09-45-52_656.jpg