Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some insight for my build! Questions for the veterans here

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 11:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Arrow Need some insight for my build! Questions for the veterans here

My name is Johnny, I am a 25 year old Mechanical Engineering Graduate student at Colorado State University. I'm not new to the car world or modifying cars. I have a 84 300zx turbo with a 6262 TBB, homemade drivers side exhaust manifold, 44mm external WG recirculated, homemade quickspool valve, homemade downpipes (3" mandrel), homemade intercooler plumbing and upper intake manifold....blah blah blah. I did 432whp and 480wtq on E85 recently.

I picked up a 89 S13, and am planning on going with a L33, and remote turbo, thinking 74-80mm. Maybe a GT45 ebay knockoff.

I'm looking for basic info like if a LS6 upper plenum is plenty large enough for a L33 or if I would benefit from a FAST 102mm or one of those other knockoff plenums that are made out of aluminum and available in 96mm?

Are there better oil pumps and water pumps I should consider?

Still reading up on cam specs and valvetrain like pushrods, rockers, springs, etc...any advice? LS6 cam or get aftermarket? Hit up Pat G for a custom grind? Isky?

Also what can the stock longblock (L33) take? Stock internals entirely, what is the weak link? I would like to get 600-700whp+ with boost. I will be running E85 of course.

I'm trying to put together the best long block from pan to plenum for my power goals. I have been reading alot, any help is appreciated! Thanks
Old 04-29-2011, 05:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

you can get a typhone alum intake with a 96mm TB opening for a good price.get a custom cam from Patrick-G.the short block should handle the power.find a 5.3 with 243 heads if you can.corvetteinjectors.com has good prices on injectors.check the boosted section for more info.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:14 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the reply. That is the intake manifold I was referring to is the Typhoon. Just wanted to hear if they are actually worth it in comparison to the LS6 manifold. I think they go for around the same price, typhoon might be a tad bit more. I figured with the smaller displacement (5.3) that maybe there were not much gains to be had from going from a LS6 manifold to a larger aftermarket whether it be the typhoon or a FAST.