Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which exhaust to go with?
BBK Long Tube with ORY pipe
22.22%
Long Tubes with TSP True-duals and Dumps
55.56%
Long Tubes with custom True Duals and side exit
22.22%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

To go True Duals or not, that is the question....

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 09:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post To go True Duals or not, that is the question....

Well I just back into the LS1 scene the other day after purchasing a mint condition 2000 SS. It came with all the SLP goodies already on it from the factory so it has the SLP cat-back but my 02 Trans Am had long-tube headers with a cat-back and sounded pretty good, so the exhaust is the first thing being done.

I don't quite know which way I should go yet, I could get this http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=1099 and weld in the cats after gutting them up (need em for inspection) and keep the cat-back that I currently have.

Or I could buy some sort of ceramic coated long-tube headers and go with http://texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=196 that, or just have an exhaust shop around here fab me up one with taking the parts to him, only problem with that though is Id prolly have to pay them to install the headers as well, instead of me and a buddy doing that...

The last option would be to go Long tube headers, with an X-pipe, and have the mufflers right after the X-pipe and have the pipes bent out so they exit right before the rear-tire.

So far it seems option 1 is the cheapest way to go, not only that but pending what SLP says, I was told my car was one of only 500 BLACK SS's that came with the 5k$ SLP option, which included lid, smooth bellows, maybe MAF (not sure on that one yet) stabilizers underneath, rear seat stabilizer in the car, slp cat-back exhaust, and a beefier suspension. If my car is really that rare, I'm leaning towards option 1, so I can retain the slp cat-back that came with it.

Opinions or comments appreciated, and 2 things, yes I have to have it appear as I have a cat, even if it is gutted, and I'm going with nothing less than Long Tube Headers.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:32 AM
TECH Veteran

If you're looking for duals and don't mind the noise, go with the TSP duals dumped. It's not going to be quiet, though..

A lot of people have been getting the BBK LT's but they're a 2.5" collector instead of a 3". Not sure on how much power is being left on the table with those.

Go with ceramic stainless if you can. They will last longer, less risk of rusting and will keep their luster longer.

Last edited by bayer-z28; 04-30-2011 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I had a tsp Y with cutout and it wasn't very raspy, but it just didnt do it for me. I then put a 40 series flow-master on and it sounded much better. after a little incident, i had to replace the catback piece, I just gave up and got the tsp true duals.
It seemed very loud at first, but after a while it doesn't seem that bad.
it is louder than stock, and it transfers some vibration due to the way it mounts to the floor. but all in all, i couldnt be happier, im stock cam and daily driven. a more modded motor is going to be a lot louder.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TD's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZuoTQj441g

vs.

mufflex/spintech cat back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sl0eZOgPng

IMO it's personal pref vs wether or not you can get away with dumps. exhaust tickets are expensive. keep that in mind.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:49 AM
TECH Addict

oh btw you do know there are fake cats out there right? and vibrant 3" race bullets look awfully similar to cats. just saying.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:19 AM
TECH Veteran

^ Both of those almost sounded the same. It's difficult to replicate on video.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:32 AM
On The Tree

Brian that car sounds Bad@$$. Ok so you've guys about have me convinced on true-duals, now If I get XXXX long tubes and the TSP system it is a fully welded exhaust right? So whenever I need to have transmission work done itll need to be cut and welded back up each time right? Just wondering as thats how my exhaust was on my T/A.

Also the collector for the BBK long tubes is 2.5 in, you mean after it comes to a Y it is 2.5? It wouldnt decrease flow THAT much if you then just had it welded to a 3inch pipe would it? Yes choked a little bit, but couldnt be that bad.

Cutouts aren't an option for where I live, wont pass inspection with ANY kind of cutout.

P.S. I don't want it to be quiet, thats why Im doing full exhaust first,
Old 04-30-2011, 01:43 PM
TECH Addict

TSP true duals are not fully welded. unless you make it that way. they are sectioned w/ 2 bolt slip on style clamps.

and the BBK's are 2.5" @ collectors meaning that where all four pipes merge it is a 2.5" diameter pipe. where as most others are 3". personally i would go with something else. i have pacesetters and was very pleased with them. however if i was going to do it again with the same headers i would do v-band clamps. the slip on clamps cut into my collectors and caused premature rusting. will probably have to replace them beacause of this. just something to think about.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:38 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by brian_rs/ss
TSP true duals are not fully welded. unless you make it that way. they are sectioned w/ 2 bolt slip on style clamps.

and the BBK's are 2.5" @ collectors meaning that where all four pipes merge it is a 2.5" diameter pipe. where as most others are 3". personally i would go with something else. i have pacesetters and was very pleased with them. however if i was going to do it again with the same headers i would do v-band clamps. the slip on clamps cut into my collectors and caused premature rusting. will probably have to replace them beacause of this. just something to think about.
Defn not going with BBK because of that. Now I need to retain catalytic convertors, so Im going to have to buy a programmer to delete the rear 02 sensors from working... I know that LS1 edit does it, even though I can find almost NONE for sale, and HP Tuners will do it as well.

-If I buy the Standard HP Tuners can I still have a custom tune burned to it later down the line or no?
-Do I have to get the pro for that?
-The thing is I'm going to do full exhaust to this car then its not going to get much else for a long time.... And are there ANY other hand-held programmers that I can use to perm turn off the rear 02's with? Looking for the cheapest way to do it really.

Looks like I'm down to these 2 options.

-TSP True dual exhaust
----Headers, say 350$
----TSP True Duals- 450$
----Some sort of High Flow cats on each side- 150$
Total Cost- 950$

TSP Pacesetter Headers and Catted Y pipe
-640$-740$ Depending on if I go ceramic Coated.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:46 AM
TECH Addict

here's your "highflow" cats.

http://www.frozenboost.com/product_i...04a9f3530288b7

and as far as the tuner goes, why not just take it to a local shop?
Old 05-01-2011, 11:04 AM
On The Tree

Haha sheesh I just did a ton of searching, best thing I found with a 3in inlet/outlet was these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-3-0...ht_6937wt_1167

Any kind of shop can turn them off? What all does it entail, I mean to turn them off permanently so I don't get the check engine code any regular shop can do that?
Old 05-01-2011, 11:55 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't see why you said a cut out wouldn't pass inspection but you think duals dumped would?in my area the exhaust has to at least pass the axle to be legal.as long as a cutout is closed I do not see why it wouldn't pass?I know some areas do things out of the norm but if your worried about passing e check I would see what you can get away with.the tsp duals sound great,all the bullets sound good but I love the sweet thunders,good luck man
Old 05-01-2011, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

All I know is its NC inspection.... I had a cutout and they couldn't pass me at all. I assumed I would have no problem passing because I'll have cats and mufflers, and they don't do the sniffer here, but you're defn right Im going to go to a shop on wedn and see exactly what I can and can't get away with.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TSP duals dumped FTW!!
Old 05-02-2011, 06:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fucter
I had a tsp Y with cutout and it wasn't very raspy, but it just didnt do it for me. I then put a 40 series flow-master on and it sounded much better. after a little incident, i had to replace the catback piece, I just gave up and got the tsp true duals.
It seemed very loud at first, but after a while it doesn't seem that bad.
it is louder than stock, and it transfers some vibration due to the way it mounts to the floor. but all in all, i couldnt be happier, im stock cam and daily driven. a more modded motor is going to be a lot louder.
did you just have the muffler mounted directly on the end of the y pipe...? if so this is what im thinking about doing but not sure how it will sound/look
Old 05-02-2011, 07:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got LPP duals. You WILL get sick of the interior noise from dumps, and I don't think side exits would be much better, not to mention they're hard to fit in. I'd go with Kooks true duals if you really want duals, although they are expensive. The other good option is the 4" Mufflex setup.

But I will never, ever have a dumped exhaust again.