Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

El-Cheapo Power Steering Hose for LS1 in 2nd Gen F-body

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default El-Cheapo Power Steering Hose for LS1 in 2nd Gen F-body

For the past several weeks, I've been trolling the various threads about hooking up the power steering pressure hose between an LSx motor using LS pumps (like the ones included in GMPP 19155067 or 19155066) and the PS in older GM muscle cars. It always came down to one of the following options:
  1. get metric conversion fittings + stainless braided hose with AN-6 ends
  2. build your own hose at the local Napa or Parker outlet.

I'm cheap - and also got looks like "WTF have you been smoking?" when I did go into local Parker outlets. So, here's how I fixed my predicament:
  • Went to rockauto.com and ordered the PS Pressure hose for a base 2001 Corvette ($10.57 + shipping, as of May 2, 2011). Edelmann Part # 80230.
  • Used Vice-grips to clamp PS Box end of hose (shiny silver part to the right end of pic) and twisted the fitting around about 120 degrees. I set the vice-grips to use just enough pressure to grip the shiny silver part, NOT crush it - you want the metal tubing to be able to pivot in the hose fitting.
  • Used 3/8 tubing bender to bend PS Box fitting tube (lower right corner) so that it lifts the hose portion away from steering assembly. The tube went from looking like a squared "U" (as pictured) to looking like a very shallow "M" when I was done.
  • Screwed everything down, and tested for interference and leaks. Done. half hour and $18.00 (shipping included).
Now, it is important to note that I started with the PS Box from a 1981 T/A. My understanding is that GM switched to 18mm metric connections in 1980 (someone, please feel free to correct me - I'm not an expert).

Anyway, that was my experience. I can post pics, if wanted.

Last edited by 1981TA; 05-02-2011 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had an alternate plan in mind when I bought the hose, which may work for folks of similar penny-pinching needs and who have an earlier PS box with the SAE / non-Metric inlet fitting. I bought a brass 3/8 tubing compression union ($3 at the local hardware store). The idea was to cut the end off the original hose and the new one, and then join the two together. It looked good on paper, but one lingering concern I had was how much pressure it could take. One mfg web site claimed 50 BAR, but that was in China. Dunno how close to reality that was.

Kinda like "Sparko-watts" (the inflated power-handling rating given by a certain speaker mfg for their products), compared to Watts RMS. Anyway, food for thought.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well done - I can attest to brass compression fittings dealing just fine with power steering pressures.

I helped a friend swap fox body mustang accessories onto his classic mustang and instead of making a custom AN type power steering line we just went with the compression coupling that fit both lines close enough and hack sawed one end off both sides and bent them as straight as could be and the compression coupling has been holding without any issues.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:57 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

used the same hose, with vette accessories on my swap..... didnt have to do any special bending or anything bolted right up.....
Old 05-03-2011, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Eroc, did you have any problems with the hose contacting the center link or pitman arm? I did, when the wheels were turned hard right. I had to bend the tubing to make clearance.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you need to have a custom hose made, find a shop that does hydraulic hoses for equipment. I took my late model hose and my 60s vintage hose into our local hose shop and had them put the old style fitting on the steering box end of the the newer hose. They put a swivel fitting on it so I could get it clocked right. I think I paid $35. 5 years and 15 k miles, so far so good.

Pat

Last edited by Stu Cool; 05-04-2011 at 08:36 AM.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my 1st gen with an IROC box I was able to use a stock 2002 camaro line and just straighten out the rack end. On the 69 GTO swap i just did, I used a stainless compression fitting, so far, so good.

Quick Reply: El-Cheapo Power Steering Hose for LS1 in 2nd Gen F-body