Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

HELP!!! First start up, Squeal at Bell-housing

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 08:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! First start up, Squeal at Bell-housing

So I'm doing a LQ9/T56 Magnum swap into a 70 Chevelle... Quicktime Bell-housing, Monster Stage 2 clutch, Gm slave etc. So it fired right up but when I give it gas I hear a noticeable squeal from the bell-housing area that goes away when it settles back down to idle. When I installed the T56, I had to use a few bolts to suck the trans towards the bell because I couldn't get the last 1/4'' by hand. I didn't have to use a lot of force at all on those bolts to get the tranny to sit flush with the bell. I'm wondering if that was a sign that the input shaft was riding to tight to one side of the pilot bearing. Could it be the throw-out bearing? Maybe the Bell-Housing is out of spec? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
Old 05-05-2011, 01:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave-1970
. When I installed the T56, I had to use a few bolts to suck the trans towards the bell because I couldn't get the last 1/4'' by hand. I didn't have to use a lot of force at all on those bolts to get the tranny to sit flush with the bell. I'm wondering if that was a sign that the input shaft was riding to tight to one side of the pilot bearing. Could it be the throw-out bearing? Maybe the Bell-Housing is out of spec? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
you really never want to "pull" the tranny in by bolts as there is a good chance the pilot bearing or disc get F'ed up.

it can be tough sometimes lining up disc exactly even with the alignment tool so when that is off slightly the tranny input shaft hangs up on pilot bearing.

certainly could just be a bad TO bearing also...unfortunately pulling and inspecting componets closely will be the only way to tell.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:47 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: So the Squeal has gone away (knocking on wood)... I'm thinking the noise was due to the fact that the tranny fluid hadn't circulated fully (New T56)... I shouldn't have revved it so soon. Luckily there was no load on it and it only made noise for a couple seconds before I shut it down...