Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M6 guy needs help w/ A4 w/ stall!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default M6 guy needs help w/ A4 w/ stall!!

Heres the deal. A4, SY3500, no shift kit, no tuning.....

I just got done with the GFs 2002 SS and we put in a SY3500. Runs great and I love it and Im a 6 speed guy... It was a major PITA, but thats another story

Heres the problem..... Driving under moderate throttle, it runs and shifts great, but under light throttle in drive or O-drive it will make its shift into the higher gear at 30 in drive and 40 in O-drive and it drops the RPMs to 1200. Now if you give it a little gas, it viberates and sounds like the verter is sorta chattering like the RPMs are too low (chugging in a 6 speed) Still following me? But if you give it a little more gas, it will up shift and all it well.... Are the RPMs too low for the speed? Maybe need to change the shift points so the RPMs dont fall to 1200? Its hard to describe. Will the computer learn to adjust or should it be changed via LS1Edit?

HELP!
Old 02-23-2004, 12:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Lock up clutch chatter. Seems like if you get a converter that does it, you just have to live with it. I had a Yank ST3500 that did it in 3 different cars. Even sent it back to Yank and they said there was nothing wrong with it. That's why Yank quit selling the ST3500s.

The rpms dropping is because the clutch is locking up. You can edit the lock up tables to have it lock up at a higher mph. There are separate tables for lock up mph in 3rd and OD. I doubt that will have any effect on the chatter.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:47 AM

So is it anything that going to hurt something? I have no idea on the inner working of a verter
Old 02-26-2004, 06:54 PM
On The Tree

ttt, this question is for me guys. I need some help. Mike at Yank told me it's because I put synthetic in it (Royal Purple) so I went and had a tranny flush done. It's been about 100 miles now since I had it done and it's still doing it