Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

555R vs. 555RII -- Which one?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 555R vs. 555RII -- Which one?

Hello All. My car is certainly a mixed used ride – reliable as a daily driver on the streets and I plan to spend an equal amount of time at the drag strip and on the road course.

I currently have Nitto 555R's on the rear (305/35/18) and have an issue with the tires getting cut from the fenders – I'm working to remedy that (roll fenders, adjustable panhard, new shocks in the rear that are slightly more stiff).

My issue: Heading to Road Atlanta in a few weeks. While the cuts in the rear tires are minor, I plan to replace them before the event. I've decided to go with either the 555R (drag radial) or the 555R II (road racing tire). I understand the strengths of the two different tires, however I'm having a tough time deciding which one is truly the most versatile of the two. With 600+ rwhp on spray I'm most interested in the tire that will offer best traction on the street and the drag strip however I'm curious if the 555R II's will be great road course tires and will still offer very similar straight line traction.

Is the additional stiffness in the walls on the 555R II's that noticeable? If it is, I will just go with the 555R's with the understanding that I'm leaving something on the table (from a handling perspective) at Road Atlanta.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fraom what I understand, they are the same compound, the same tread design, and depth. The carcass of the tire is where the differences are. My 555R's feel like they roll over a little when I push them hard around corners. I doubt ither tire will hook real well with that much power.

If it were me I would go with the 555RII, but I prefer the more handling side of things. I am replacing my 555R's with a more handling oriented tire (Ecsta XS, NT-05, Proxes R-1R, etc)
Old 05-08-2011, 07:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

got with NT-01 or Toyo R888/RA1