Help: engine bay noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 03:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help: engine bay noise

1998 ws6 m6 with 51k on it.

Ill describe sound as best as possible

Sounds like a faint school girl bicycle bell ringing. Car idles and you can hear it every 2-10 seconds. Popped hood, seems to be below the belts on the left side of the engine bay. car runs top notch, no leaks, lifter issues, nothing. Just this very faint bell sound lol.

I googled the bell sound and found this to help describe what i hear. Its not nearly as loud or profound, just very faint and it would probably sound like this bell if you were to shake it in your hand, not flick it.

http://www.stupidvideos.com/video/ju...warning/#33090

Sounds is becoming more consistent and less faint. Im pretty sure its maybe a semi loose pulley? it goes away if i give it some throttle

Thanks all

Last edited by Stoianoff31; 05-31-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:59 PM
Teching In

nothing? bump
Old 05-09-2011, 04:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Hehe that video was kind of funny. Usually it's a pulley. Since I don't know SPECIFICALLY what the noise I can't sure for sure, but I'd bet money it's just a squeaky pulley. As a quick fix, I've gotten a coffee-stirrer straw and filled it with out and would wedge it behind the pulley and let the oil out as a temp fix. Worked every time, but I'd never do this to AC compressor, alternator, water pump... Well, to anything but the idler I guess haha. See if you can't trace it back to a pulley.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:09 AM
Teching In

to anyone wondering what this was it was the AC compressor clutch low on oil LOL. put some PAG oil in it and recharged AC good to go :-)