Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help my transmission is haunted

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 03:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help my transmission is haunted

OK so I'll try and keep this from turning into a novel but here it goes. Thursday I was merging on to the interstate and was in 4th about to start making my moves for the fast lane. Finally I got there and went to upshift to fifth but it felt like someone was holding the stick in place but when I finally got it there it was like 5th was being blocked by a brick wall. Went to got back to 4th but same thing brckwall where 4th was and then I couldn't move my shifter at all but managed to get to an off ramp before losing momentum where managed to 2 hand it into 2nd. I limped it all the way back home on back roads going like 20 mph. But when I got to my parking lot I braced both hands to take out of gear, it slid out like none of this just happened and I could shift into every single gear fine. Drove it up the street and back and nothing it shifted perfect. Yesterday it tried to do it to me again but for whatever reason I pulled up on my shifter handle and it went right into gear without any fuss.

Now while all this was going on it never grinded a gear my clutch engaged and disengaged fine and the hydraulic fluids are a lil cloudy but they were way worse when I bought the car. I've done some research but I can't find anything specific. I am HIV positive in ain't my clutch or my synchros, but I read similar post on here talking about it maybe being my tranny mount either that or I think it's my shifter it's self. Thats all I got I'm stumped thanks in advance.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:12 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Assuming LS1 F-body?
The blocked out of gear is a clutch release issue. Check for leaks, bleed the hydraulics. At some point, the drill mod should be done for best clutch operation. If you end up replacing master / slave cylinders, sponsor Tick has a nice master cylinder.

Stuck in 4th is the synchro keys. Trans needs disassembled (might as well be gone through fully too) for that.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:03 PM
Teching In

Yea my bad its a WS6
Old 05-08-2011, 06:12 PM
Launching!

I'm gonna say it's ur shifter, I have broken the 3-4 syncro keys and I had to kick the shifter out of gear and the only thing that felt funny was 3 and 4 after that, 12 56 and R worked just fine. The odds of all your keys going at the same time I would think is highly unlikely. Get a new shifter.

Jon
Old 05-10-2011, 01:07 AM
Teching In

Exactly what I'm thinking I have a new Pro 5.0 ready to throw in we'll see