Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sensors never ready cannot pass emissions

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 06:03 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Sensors never ready cannot pass emissions

I have a 98 formula and have a few issues. Last year I wasn't able to pass emissions because my 02 sensor kept reading not ready even after putting 2k miles on my car and trying the driving cycles etc. I have a way of passing my inspection regardless but not legally. My issue is this. I want to be able to pass legally. I was advised to get a tuner and tune out that sensor and then I should pass. Here in NY you need to pass 4 out of the 5 readings to pass inspection. Am I better off buying a new sensor and try replacing it myself. Is there a cheaper option. If i got a tune would this allow me to pass?

My second question: I want to buy a new exhaust this season. I wanna go with a loud mouth 1 or a gmmg depending on how $ goes. Now i know a place to get a true dual setup for a good price but I won't be able to pass inspection right? I am leaning more towards a catback just so I can pass. Now my other question is this. Since I am having this sensor issue should I get an illegal inspection pass get a new exhaust and have a ton of worries next year.. What would you guys do in my situation. I just wanna be able to pass. Its been driving me loco for the past year. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A tuner can tune those out and have them to show that they are ready and it will pass the smog test.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:13 PM
Launching!

see my concern is this. I am not getting a check engine light. I am not getting any errors. My car is mechanically sound aside from the o2 sensor never being ready. I had an issue with my battery cables becoming loose and resetting my computer alot last year. My sensor may still be good for all I know but with all these mechanics tapping their programmers into my car I don't know. I had one mechanic reset everything and told me "when your check engine light comes on to see me". Then my cable was lose and my computer became reset again and I never saw the check engine light. I am not very familiar with how these tuners work but I am leaning towards buying one and figuring it out after all this hassle. Do you think my sensor is shot? is that common? Or does it have to do with needing a tune.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its not that it needs a tune, but the "smog" tune will help you pass the the smog.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:04 AM
Launching!

so if i get a smog tune it will show my 02 sensor as ready? can i buy a hand held programmer and do this myself? if so whats an affordable one that I can do this with and is it difficult? or am I better off bringing it somewhere?
Old 05-09-2011, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

You need HPtuners.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:36 PM
Teching In

Yup, you need to turn off the sensors with tuning software like HP Tuners or EFI Live. A 0 voltage reading (with the sensors tuned out of the system) means you pass.

Quick Reply: Sensors never ready cannot pass emissions