Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Question on Interior Ventilation for 1998 Firebird

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 04:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on Interior Ventilation for 1998 Firebird

I was testing to see if the A/C was operational and tested the three interior switches. It seems I'm only getting air from the top of the dash and floor vents. The other vents I'm not getting any circulation. The switch on the right controls the settings and turns the system on and off. The on and off part works, but no matter what setting I put it on, it will not change air from blowing thru the the top of the dash/floor vents only. Is this an indication the switch needs to be replaced even though it does turn on and off? If it's the switch, can it be fixed? Thanks.

- Rich
Old 05-21-2011, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

Might be a vacuum-related issue also -- not sure how the ventilation systems have changed over the years, but the 68-82 Corvettes were absolutely awful about that. $20 cheap plastic piece that all the vacuum lines attach to on the back of the control unit would usually just plain fall apart under normal and even light use.

I would try getting a used control unit from a pull-a-part or similar. AFAIK they're all the same from 1993-02. Pull-a-part has them for $10. Would be a lot easier to throw one of those in than it would be to start hunting vacuum issues.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the same thing happened to my car after i swapped motors, after a REALLY HOT day i decided to look into it. when we installed the motor we didn't hook the vacuum hoses back onto the rear of the intake manifold.
it is most likely an issue with a hose, start by making sure all the the vacuum hoses are hooked up, it is easiest to start there because if you have a broken hose or something it is a $1 fix
Old 05-22-2011, 04:58 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Start at the absolute most common cause for this. There is a 3 way plastic valve near the PCM under the hood. By near, I mean between the PCM and the engine. This is usually either broken in two or when you remove it, you see splits and cracks all over it. This is the usual cause for your problem.

The valve is about 5 bucks at the parts store. You'll likely find it in the HELP section. More specifically, I found it in the vacuum/wiper hose/fittings section on a rack. The parts counter was clueless.

If that is not the problem, you've got a disconnected or broken vacuum hose somewhere else.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:38 PM
Teching In

The problem was the vacuum check valve. Thanks for all of your replies!
Old 06-09-2011, 08:21 PM
Launching!

Default A c

you need a vacumn check valve . had the same problem last summer. easy
fix.

Quick Reply: Question on Interior Ventilation for 1998 Firebird