Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Easiest way to (mostly) drain the fuel tank?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easiest way to (mostly) drain the fuel tank?

Long story short, 2000 corvette, sat for ~1 year with that crappy "10% ethanol" gas we have these days. The car won't properly fire, I get one quick fire and then it doesn't run. I suspect it is this nasty gas. I tested for pressure at the schrader valve and there is pressure but the gas literally looks like ****... nice and yellow.

I'm looking for the easiest way to get most of the gas out, then I'll put in some new stuff.

Can I hook a tube to the schrader valve on the fuel rail and then jumper the fuel pump relay to keep it on and drain it that way?
Old 05-15-2011, 02:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Unhook it before the fuel filter and jump the relay. Bad gas ruins alot of the system. It wouldnt be a bad idea to drop the tank and inspect the pump along with a new fuel filter
Old 05-15-2011, 06:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pocket
Unhook it before the fuel filter and jump the relay. Bad gas ruins alot of the system. It wouldnt be a bad idea to drop the tank and inspect the pump along with a new fuel filter
When jumping the relay, is it the contact point between 30 and 87?

I made a small jumper but I'm not sure if it is sufficient enough wire size wise to do the job. The trouble is those relay connections in the fuse box are so small so you can't really find a thick wire down to a thin connector piece.

I'll probably change the fuel filter once I'm sure the gas is actually bad and the cause of my issue. I had the car torn down and everything seems ok, the gas is the only thing I can think of for why it won't start. The engine computer is not throwing any codes either so I'd think if it was something else I'd get a code. I've had it report a code when an injector wire fell off and things like that. But I get nothing right now.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Yes, stock is 16ga, but for as short of time the pump will be running 18ga is fine

Quick Reply: Easiest way to (mostly) drain the fuel tank?