Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reverse after header install

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 09:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Reverse after header install

ok so i just finished up my header install and i have 2 problems (car is a 2000 M6 with pacesetter lt's and ory recently installed):

1. after the install i tried to go into reverse and insted i got 5th so i put it in neutral and went back and tried for reverse again, this time i pushed over much harder and it finnally went in, im sure my headers caused this problem but i dont know where to start looking, anyone got any ideas???

2. to install my drivers side headers i had to remove my steering shaft, now after driving around i noticed that my steering wheel seemed a little loose, much looser than it was before the install, i thought i tightened the two bolts enough, maybe not?, nothing toooo major just different, is this normal???, any way to fix?
Old 02-23-2004, 10:20 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackY2KSS
ok so i just finished up my header install and i have 2 problems (car is a 2000 M6 with pacesetter lt's and ory recently installed):

1. after the install i tried to go into reverse and insted i got 5th so i put it in neutral and went back and tried for reverse again, this time i pushed over much harder and it finnally went in, im sure my headers caused this problem but i dont know where to start looking, anyone got any ideas???

2. to install my drivers side headers i had to remove my steering shaft, now after driving around i noticed that my steering wheel seemed a little loose, much looser than it was before the install, i thought i tightened the two bolts enough, maybe not?, nothing toooo major just different, is this normal???, any way to fix?
1. i seriously doubt your header install did anything to mess with your tranny

2. this has been covered do a search
Old 02-23-2004, 11:17 PM
TECH Addict

Did you accidently disconnect the plug for the reverse lock-out solenoid. If that was unplugged, it would be a bitch to get it to go into reverse.

The steering thing is probably all in your head. Because even if the bolts were extremely loose, the shaft still has a not round shape to keep the end attached to the steering column, so it would still be as 'tight' feeling.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:05 PM
Staging Lane

OnyxY2KSS I am having the same problem with my steering wheel after my header install. I'm going to get under the car and tighten the steering knuckle bolts and see if it fixes it, did you figure it out?
Old 06-17-2011, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Onyx, the problem with you reverse is the lockout solenoid is not disengaging. it is given an electrical charge that allows it to disengage at idle under 1mph. i had the same problem, and the problem lies in one of your O2 extension harnesses, and it probobly melted against your longtubes and blew a fuse. the fuse it blew is the only 20A fuse (it is green) in the fuse box under the hood. dont remember which box, just look for the one with only one green 20A in it and pull it out. that is your problem. but just changing the fuse will not fix this, you need to either, repair your extension harness for your O2 sensor, or buy a new one. then you need to re-route it so it doesn't happen again, zip ties are your best friend
Old 06-17-2011, 04:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

My steering was tighter after mine, ha. As for the reverse thing... check on that lockout solenoid as the others said.