Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Won't stay in OD after HD2, Hardened plate, billet 4th piston.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 05:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Won't stay in OD after HD2, Hardened plate, billet 4th piston.

This is a thread I'm copying from pt.n to pick the brains of those here and not there.

I have a 2002 Silverado 1500 4x4, 5.3L/4L60E, auto transfer case.

I just put in a Corvette Servo, Superior billet 4th apply piston, Trans Go separator plate drilled according to the HD2 instructions, and Trans Go HD2 (no washer in the 2nd accum, 1 spacer between vette servo and 4th piston - right at 1/8" of travel, white spring in the valve body to match the new servo, spring seat in the 2nd accum set up as described in this thread: http://www.700r4l60e.com/forum/viewt...d6cc1fd555a34d) and now it doesn't want to stay in 4th gear. I did replace the spring on the outer end of the apply pin with the shorter, stiffer blue one that came with the 4th apply piston.

If I'm cruising down the freeway at really light throttle, for example level road or a slight decline, the truck will want to stay in 3rd. If I give it a bit of throttle to speed up, it will up shift into 4th. It down shifts back into 3rd when I left off the gas.

Would anyone recommend changing the spring back to the stocker from the one that came with the 4th apply piston, or should I look elsewhere first?

Oh yes - stock TC.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:13 AM
Banned

It would be wise to view transmission data on a scan tool before removing any parts.See if the shift schedule occuring is a result of pcm command or a hydraulic problem caused by misbuild or mis assembly.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:34 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks Chris. I don't think it should be a PCM thing, but I'll get it on efilive asap just in case. The tune is stock and the issue came with the mods. I was going to tune out adaptive shift control, some of the torque management and a just a little of the traction control restraints. That's probably going to come after this though.

Another speculation, what are most people setting their band clearances to? The transmission has about 30k on it. I've read to only have 1/16-1/8" and also that I should be able to push the cap at least 1/8." Or would having a hair too much clearance result in the engine rpm dropping down to idle on decel instead of the transmission shifting into 3rd?
Old 05-06-2014, 01:17 PM
Teching In

I know this an old thread, but I rebuilt a 2wd 4L with the same set up as this, and after about 10k miles I have started having the same problem. OP, do you have any updates or find a solution that worked for you?
Old 05-06-2014, 03:43 PM

Received 398 Likes on 304 Posts

The same advice still applies - use a scan/logging tool to determine what gear is commanded when you think it shifts from 4th to 3rd.
Otherwise we will "waste" a lot of words describing all the possibilities and you will definitely waste a lot of time checking out unnecessary issues.
We did just have a thread where the OP lost 4th gear and it turned out to be a bad seal on the 4th gear servo piston:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...-4th-gear.html

Quick Reply: Won't stay in OD after HD2, Hardened plate, billet 4th piston.