General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Idle RPM way too high

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle RPM way too high

I have a 2000 Z-28 Camaro w 6spd manual. Whenever I turn the car on it idles up high to about 1200-1500 RPM where it stays there longer than it should before coming back to the stock idle. Whenever I am driving the car, every time I push the clutch pedal in the RPM rises to 2000 RPM or so (this is with the clutch pedal pushed in all the way) and it stays up there when I come to a complete stop. It will usually drop back down to the normal idle after sitting there for about 10 seconds or so. It's worse when running the ac. I'm trying to figure out what is causing this so I can get the running RPM to come back down. It's annoying trying to shift gears with your engine stuck at 2000RPM. Any input would be welcomed.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:54 PM
On The Tree

Is this with the stock tb?
When I had this problem after switching to a pp tb I found this to cure my idle issues.

Right here is your issue...

it needs to read 0 or 0.4 with a flicker at 0.8 at the most
at 11% you will always be in the throttle follower table...which adds air, which causes high idle.

get the TPS back down to 0 and your problems will go away most likely
if the TB bump stop screw has been used to open the blade for idle air, then you need to test the voltage, again.. MUST BE LESS THAN 0.55volts
if you cant get it to idle with the voltage below the 0.55, then it needs more air and you have to drill a hole in the TB Blade

once you get the Voltage down, you must do a TPS reset
unplug TPS, turn key on for 10 seconds, turn off key, plug back in sensor, turn key on 10 seconds, turn key off, start the car.s
Old 05-23-2011, 01:04 PM

The TB has been port and polished by a friend of mine. I removed the EGR at the same time and jus recently put the EGR back on. It was when I reconnected the EGR that the idle began screwing up.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:52 PM
Launching!

Do you still have your stock PVC? Whether you do or not check that rubber boot on the pvc. I had exact same issue and I found it after 2 months of frustration. My pvc rubber 'boot' was completely dry rotted and allowing vacuum leak.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:15 AM
Launching!

Ever figure anything out with this?