Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harness grounds question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Harness grounds question?

Making my own stand alone harness. Upon taking it apart found some grounds are solid black and others black/white stripe. Is there any reason for this they all tie together down the line.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Not that Ive found. Some harnesses also incorporate tan and tan/wht as ground, sometimes on the same ground ring as blk and blk/wht wires

Same with low reference wires. Usually they're blk, sometimes ppl. Some sensors use orn/blk or pnk/blk

You'll see some pinouts interchange red and orn, tan and blk. Only a rare few of the harnesses Ive stripped actually went by the orn as red and tan for blk sequence but almost all of the pinouts use it

Makes the job interesting
Old 05-23-2011, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just when I thought this was easy....Thanks
Old 05-23-2011, 05:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Technically, I believe the solid blacks are classified as engine/battery grounds...and the black with white stripes are chassis grounds, according to the GM manuel. Just make sure everything is grounded well, & you won't have any problems. Battery to engine, battery to frame, engine to frame, etc...
Old 05-23-2011, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

When i built my harness I ran all my grounds together to where my PCM was located tied my PCM grounds and engine grounds together and had a Heavy gauge (4 gauge i believe) wire running to my rear mount battery. The battery is still grounded to the engine. This setup, while overkill, eliminates the chance of resistance issues causing voltage drops from using the block as a sensor ground. Works great!

Mark

Quick Reply: Harness grounds question?