Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

very weird situation with my service engine soon light...

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 05:50 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default very weird situation with my service engine soon light...

ok so my buddy and i did some minor maintenance on my 2000 trans am 5.7 6 sp. it has 142k on it. before this maintenance, it ran fine and had no lights on the dash. we took off the air box up to the throttle body, cleaned the TB and put everything back on. my driver side low and high beams had some bad wiring so we fixed it up with some new wires and butt connectors.

during this process, the battery drained due to the constant trying the headlights to make sure they worked. so we get done and my buddy gives me a jump. it idles very rough and keeps stalling out. so i look under the hood and noticed i forgot to hook up this hose here, coming off the air box...

so we hook it back up but now my service engine light is on all the time. when i start it up i have to give it gas and it still stalls out a few times before finally idling normal. now here is the weird thing, if i turn my headlights on it starts to surge real bad and idle rough until it stalls out eventually. my volt gauge for my batter swings like crazy too. i am going to get my codes checked today but does anyone have any ideas what this could be?
Old 05-24-2011, 05:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

looks like you still have the stock battery...change it.that was probably the last straw for the battery.The rest is more then likely just the computer relearning after the dead battery
Old 05-24-2011, 01:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My buddy took it to Advance Auto and had the code ran. Turned out to be a bad MAF. replaced it and everything works fine. He said he will explain how the MAF effected my engine idle when I turned on my headlights later. Only communicating via texts right now!

Quick Reply: very weird situation with my service engine soon light...