LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

water pump fittings move??

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 12:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default water pump fittings move??

k so, yes this is my 1st LT1... are the fittings on the water pump supposed to move? 1 of my fittings is a little loose and can be rotated.. its not supper loose but enough to move it..

is it going to leak coolant once i fill the car? do i need a new water pump or is there a fix?
Old 05-25-2011, 06:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Not good. It would not trust it not to leak. It may even come out (has happened to some with cheaply rebuilt pumps). Perhaps pulling it out and applying some JB weld and putting it back would suffice for a cheap fix. Otherwise, it's a new pump.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It will leak. I had a brand new one do the same thing. It's press-fit - if it's moving it will weep.

What I did - I removed the fitting, used a Dremel with a flap wheel to gently open up the hole (otherwise, you'll never get it back in), used a small amount of black RTV (one designed for coolant and oil contact) to coat the fitting, then reinserted into the pump.

I then used a heat-stable epoxy putty to completely cover the mating surface of the installed fitting. This was done to lock the fitting into the desired angle, as the RTV would only seal it, but not keep it from twisting. Once the putty dries, you can shape and blend it with a file (sandpaper) to make it look like it's part of the original housing. Finally, a nice shot of aluminum paint (or your favorite color) and it's good as new. Mine has remained leak-free for 2 years.

I had to do this because I needed to slightly change the angle on my fitting, as I have rerouted some of the cooling hoses. Luckily, my twisting caused a slight weep to become a drip. Otherwise, I may not have noticed the issue in the first place.

Here's a shot before I smoothed and painted the epoxy: (top left corner)

Old 05-25-2011, 08:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow.. yeah that sucks... ok new pump it is..

Quick Reply: water pump fittings move??